Analog Heat on insert or aux?

Somewhat off-topic here but i’ll go ahead and ask anyway…
in a live set up, how many of you who are using the Heat are you using it as an insert to one specific audio unit (if so which one?) OR are you using it as an aux send allowing multiple instruments to enjoy it?

I use mine at the master output, last device in the chain. I have a preset that I use and just tweak slightly during soundcheck to match the PA & venue. It’s not doing much but a little goes a long way.

1 Like

i use the heat on my main stereo inserts/ stereo-return (Mackie VLZ4 1642) and it works great … and, if i want, can expand the chain with a compressor … or whatever

i use my Heat on a stereo send from my mixer. This way I can route whatever I want into it. One thing at a time or all things… whatever the jam needs!

Sub / Bus / groups can be interesting too.

Thanks!
I will keep using it as a send through my mixer just so i would be able to use it on both the A4 and the AR and a few other machines… kind of like what #PlumWrinkles does.

1 Like

I have it on a stereo bus. That way I can choose on th e fly which channels are routed to it and whether that channel also gets sent dry to the main bus or not.

2 Likes

what mixer dou have mate? i wish i had stereo aux send on mine…

1 Like

Allen & Heath Qu-Pac.

it’s sweet. it’s a mixer and an interface in one.

i control it with an iPad so I can do all of my routing really quick and efficiently.

1 Like

Yep, I think that’s how I’d use it with my Mackie 1604 Vlz Pro. Buses.

Pre Aux if I don’t have Buses.

1 Like

In the studio I have it as the insert on a group bus, because sometimes I want to really mangle something before recording it. Live I would have it at the end of the chain on the master output for just some subtle heat/pumping.

1 Like

@coreyappleby What about MD + AH ? (Routing, Gain, Distortion)
I’ll search my MD tomorrow, black plate. :heart:

Thanks for the feedback!

1 Like

My MD goes into my mixer and I route whatever I want to heat up to the group bus with the AH. I’ll record it and either dump it to the OT or chop it up and send it to the AR.

1 Like

1642VLZ4 here. First stereo bus has the AH on it. 2nd bus has an Eventide Space reverb/delay/mod on it. This gives me 2 stereo fx sends. Mono aux’s suck (for stereo fx).

1 Like