Analog Heat mkii redundant to Rytm? Haha asking AFTER I already bought it:)

Hello! Ok I have to laugh at myself that I bought the analog heat yesterday (will be here in a few days) before fully appreciating whether it’s filters, lfo/modulation etc are similar enough to the Rytm mkii I already own that it’s somewhat redundant?

I’m coming from two perspectives: 1) seems I can do a lot to a rytm song with Rytm lfo, modulation, filter and distortion and perfs of all that almost as well as the heat can do? 2) when I figure out/when it’s fixed in OB how to rout external sources through a track and process audio in the rytm that way, won’t that be similar to the heat?

Regardless, it seems to be an amazing tool/effect but more of a luxury item?

I was already looking for some new distortion and fuzz pedals so that’s one reason I just pulled the trigger, although the analog drive would have satisfied for just that I believe. I just cannot resist elektron filters and lfos!

Anyways, your thoughts would be enjoyable while I wait for this to roll in!

Sam

I have both and have many complementary uses for them. The most obvious: there is no filter on the main bus of the rytm. Want to filter sweep the entire drum track? Bring in the heat.

Other use: put the heat in parallel, not in line, with the rytm (either with the dry/wet control of the heat or with mixer routing). A whole new dimension for sound shaping there. Especially with more fx units in the chains.

Don t like the overdrive tone of the rytm? Heat has many more.

Don t worry, the heat is an awesone tone shaping tool that is absolutely not redundant to the rytm.

7 Likes

@dtr ahh true about no master filter on rytm…though I have made filter sweep perfs on each track, which is much more laborious but doable.

I’m excited to try the envelope follower on the heat.

I think I will love it but still thinking it’s luxury rather than an entirely different tool??? I’ll keep watching vids on it!

Sam

Most earthlings regard the rytm and all of our tools/toys to be luxury :wink:

3 Likes

@dtr hahaha, I thought everyone needed a drum machine.

Food, water, rytm?

Maybe clothing and shelter after that:). Then maybe after a car, small appliances, coffee, delay pedal, reverb pedal, expression pedal, girlfriend (wife in my case), then comes analog heat is what I meant maybe?

4 Likes

Uh oh. Never going back! EVERYTHING must go through heat. Wow.

Just got it the first 30 min using it on existing rytm songs was incredible. I think it helps that I’m a distortion guy anyhoo.

Man I think Scandinavia has got something special going on in its creative facets…obviously a vague statement but I’d almost be interested in a thread discussing where the creative hot beds of the world are now. It seems like the US had a decent foothold for many years in the 20th century but we are long done in doing anything original as a society. Ok just blabbing because I really dig elektron.

Told you so :wink:

3 Likes

Those two should be sold in bundles.

2 Likes

If you think about it, the Heat is actually a great investment because it makes you love your existing gear even more when you run EVERYTHING thru the Heat :thinking:

2 Likes

@knobgoblin yeah! The heat initially came across as not enough bells and whistles to justify cost. I looked at it like it was a multi analog distortion + filter/eq/mod/midi etc for $800!!! I think many like myself would do the math of good distortion = $200-300, filter/eq/mod $300…$600 max seems reasonable for the heat.

But it’s easy to overlook: stereo, the midi functionality is better than maybe most of not all filter/mod pedals, I don’t think too many pedals have the modulation options like this do they??? Ok and then the stuff that’s not fully working but when it does will be huge: 2i2o soundcard and effect plugin. Now we are talking.

It’s just not glamourous to me I guess. But if something subtly (and sometimes intensely ) makes a track sound way better really intuitively and pretty much without trying, well can a price be put on that!

Wooo!

1 Like

I completely agree. 100%.
I’ve always been curious as to what it would be like and at the weekend I decided to treat myself. What a purchase! I am still reeling from how massive it sounds.

I’ve had two major happenings in the musical side of my life recently; getting back to using samples in the Octatrack and this beast.

Amazing!

1 Like

@dtr I’m hijacking this thread to ask:

Did you try the lfo midi sync using cc messages that @sezare56 suggested?

Did you find any other method for syncing heats lfo to the rytm?

I’ve stayed away from cc messages as much as possible. Not sure why I dislike the concept except maybe it feels a little too computer-programmer to me. I guess I will try this tonight or tomorrow.

It does sound pretty synced up when I switch to a new preset that I haven’t edited lfo speed. Do others find this to be the case?

Cool! Sam

I havent yet. Actually i d want to try it out tonight or in the weekend. See what fun there s to be had midi controlling it from MD or MM.

1 Like