Analog Heat Channel Processing Tips

Hey fellas,

anyone is using Analog Heat for individual channel processing here?
if yes…

how is your workflow?

do you compress the channels before sending them to Analog Heat?

do use a EQ in the DAW before or after Analog Heat processing?

Which mode you use for Drums, Bass, Synths, Vocals?

thanks…

2 Likes

Yes. I use it for Channel, Bus, and Whole Mix.

Regarding Processing and Flattening. I would say always keep you 1 version Clean, 1 version Processed. So if at some point you want to come back in time and Re-Processed with less [something] you can do it. So i aways keep DRY and WET… As you only have 1 instance of the Analog HEAT available per project. But you can keep dry/wet, deactivate the dry, keep the processed version active (wet) and save the settings as a preset like Trk3-FM Bass. So when you want to come back you load your instance of HEAT, reload the preset and you can tweak it better then save, resample etc…

You can use Filter, EQ with the Spectrum to mix also…

But it’s kind of complicate i guess at some point you will only use for very special processing (distortion is one of it and all this crazy processing), Bus processing and Whole Mix subtle Processing and Maximise for you to listening or Play in gigs (before to send to mastering)

But of course as TAPE Drums Sample collection you can use it to WARM every Parts of your recordings

2 Likes

For place in chains, how using it for different sound nature… it the same as the Mixing basics… Presets are starting point and useless as it 70% of the time. The only thing is A/B comparison and keep the one/place sounding better to your hears.

1 Like

thanks for your tips… i found out today,
if you turn the filter on but you don’t filter,
your audio will get some extra warmth and
a bit of minimal movement.

1 Like

Did you use the LPF filtermode? It’s possible that the LPF is attenuating highest frequencies even when set to max cutoff value…

yes exactly… this enhance synth or pad sounds in a sweet way
and they feel a bit more organic

1 Like

Sometimes a gentle high frequency rolloff does wonders to a signal :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

Tried just now @William_WiLD 's negative drive envelope trick. Blown away by how bloody good this søunds :heat::heat::heat:

This technique gets closer to sherman filerbank territory, as the distortion occurs “around” the peaks

3 Likes

which trick are you referring to? (William_WiLD)
Did a search and can’t find it.

it’s just have passed in a regular discussion. that’s not a tip and trick… I just take exemple on a VST called Drum Leveler and the way act envelope follower… you can make kind of sidechaining - transient shaping with it. OK. But if you process in a opposite fashion you can have clean sounding on your kick and processed in between… and it’s interesting. so that’s became : negative drive envelope trick

6 Likes

At the Moment i prefer for my House and Techno productions:

Saturation:
Kick and Bass

Mid Drive:
Lead Sounds, Strings, Pads

Enhancement/Clean Boost:
Drumbus

Classic Distortion:
sometimes Vocals, Synths, Drumbus, Bass
but only if i really like to have the real 80/90s cheap sounding vibe

the filter is always “on” in Lowpass mode