Analog Heat as Midi Interface

In my set up I am connecting my Ipad with Korg Gadget via usb to AH. I would like then from the ipad to control via midi (through AH) a Korg Minilogue. Do you think that is possible? I am trying but struggling to make it work.
Thanks!!

Heat doesn’t pass on midi notes unfortunatley so won’t work.

Thanks do you know if Elektron is planning to change that at next AH update by any chance?

would be nice but I wouldnt plan on it based on how long its been around.

I use a roland UM1 via a midi usb hub connected to the iPad (along with heat) to control certain bits from Modstep.

Sorry, One final doubt, but then given that AH has a midi out, what exactly can I control via the midi out of AH? And why there is also a midi through function?

The Analog Heat sends CC/NRPN messages from its knobs, Program Change messages, and clock messages. It also sends SysEx messages to allow you to backup its settings and/or patches to another device (like a computer).

The MIDI Thru passes on received messages at the 5-pin DIN MIDI In port to the next MIDI device in the chain, or can be configured to send DIN SYNC messages to other gear.

1 Like

Thanks. So if I understood well then AH will be able to pass via the midi through all non note info (clock, program changes) from my Ipad connected to the AH to the midi in of an external device, but won’t be able to pass midi note info. Right?

1 Like

Wrong.

… but not messages received via USB.

2 Likes

I am puzzled

The usb midi and din midi are not connected in a manner in which the usb midi can pass messages through to the din midi ports.

So stuff sent from the usb midi connected iPad will not be passed through the din midi ports.

1 Like

I see, thanks pretty clear now. It’s really a pity that didn’t made AH as a proper midi interface with midi notes that can be transmitted via usb.

They prob should sort it out seeing as MK2 is still advertised as…

MIDI In/Out/Thru with DIN Sync out

with no mention of any limitations.

This is most definitely true. The AH has all that. What is doesn’t do is function as a USB to Midi interface and nowhere is it claimed it does.

Not a single elektron box functions as a USB to Midi interface.

1 Like

Agree its true, I just think that with the amount of people that have bought a heat thinking they can use it as a midi interface in the way this user has, it should be made clearer. A good sized proportion will have limited MIDI knowledge and its not easy information to find out.

IMO

3 Likes

Will the AH take midi from the 5 pin din, and send it out/thru the USB?

(Eg, send midi from OT to AH , to ipad over USB?)