Analog Heat and master buss processing

I think 2 TRS to TRS ‘summing’ does not work (because you would somehow need to sum the two ‘inverse’ signals on the two rings). This is different from TRS to 2 TRS ‘splitting’ (eg. with a headphone splitter cable). I would use a 2*TS to TRS cable - one signal goes to the tip, and the other one to the ring.

yes, I concur. The only compromise I see in this, @ccr, is that elektron is describing these jacks as balanced mono. It’s likely they take TS, but I gather I’m introducing the potential for ground interference in the chain. And yes, this may still be the best-practices solution, so I’m definitely accepting your input. The part you quoted was a question.

For a pedal board that’s already going through a patch bay, along with power to each device, I just want to eliminate as many points of failure as I can.

Other solutions would be to patch the heat in pairs of i/o. For a tabletop patch bay (the patchulator pro) I’d run out of space quick in my case. But the argument is that for a studio you’d spend less money on additional rack units of patch bay than you would all these y-cables. And you’d gain flexibility on where things were routed.

Or just use Overbridge and keep it out of the patchbay? When it works, it works. Not a fan of the limited buffer size, but for a bounce down, it’s a well-appreciated technology.

Or only apply heat to mono inputs and stages in the mix?

If the heat had true bypass, I’d consider patching it inline to my interface/monitors. That’s another way to do it.

The outputs on Elektron devices are “impedance balanced”, not fully balanced (see manual). There should normally be no problem with connecting the ring part to the ground because, afaik, impedance balanced signals only contain a single ‘hot’ signal line.

Edit: after reading quite a bit about this stuff a while ago, my personal conclusion was: (1) in practice, balanced connections (with balanced outputs and inputs) matters mainly for long cable runs, (2) a balanced input can take both balanced and non-balanced signals, (3) an impedance-balanced output can be connected to both balanced and imbalanced input using either TRS or TS cables, (4) connecting a fully balanced output to an unbalanced input can create issues with shorting the inverted signal.

1 Like

Thanks, good to know!
Looks like you were very thorough. Glad to not be compromising, as there tends to be every opportunity for power and signal to cross on a pedal board, as well as for adjacent units to influence one another.

And doesn’t look like I’m at risk of 4)

Might be that it’s simply something I’d introduce at a different junction. That way I can tear away from the studio and travel with the pedal board. Maybe put it into a Terminal v2 (also by boredbrain) or a mixer.

1 Like

One of the secret ingredients in the HEAT is the notch filter.
Taking out frequencies is very very important.

1 Like

Absolutely this.

1 Like