Analog four - Sequencer Tricks

Hi friends,
which tricks do you know regarding the sequencer? I try to achieve some unpredictable, evolving patterns. I’d love to have alternative playback directions, and modulatable tempo :slight_smile: But it’s the way it is, I’m just dreaming.
There are Trick Probabilities, Fills, Parameter locks of course but I’m sure some of you guys no some secrets I am not aware of.

2 Likes

Random LFO set to Hold is all you need … new value on every trig

12 Likes

thanks for the tip. I’ll try that

2 Likes

Conditional trigless locks + polyrhythms + chaining patterns that have different scales.
Lots of fun.

Also, I’ve been using a toothpick to wedge/hold down a pattern bank button.
This allows me to use all 10 of my fingers to direct jump between patterns and hit that fill(scale) button. Playing the patterns like notes on an instrument.

29 Likes

interesting ideas

I use the conditional trigs, the percentage ones, to play low velocity ghost notes on my snares.

3 Likes

Conditional Toothpick :smile:

Does anybody use AB conditional trigs ?

A:B will be true on the A:th pattern iteration, then true again after B iterations, repeating indefinitely

I don’t understand…

1 Like

If you p-lock the Trig Condition value on a sequencer step to, for example:

1:4, the sequencer note will be triggered on the 1st, 5th, 9th, 13th, … repeat of the pattern

2:3, the sequencer note will be triggered on the 2nd, 5th, 8th, 11th, … repeat of the pattern

5 Likes

That style of conditional trigs is probably my most used. I tend to use them instead of increasing pattern length to create variations. For example to add an extra snare or hi-hat on every 2nd or 4th time through the pattern. Then I reserve the additional pages of the pattern for creating more dramatic variations. It lets you build up long complex patterns pretty easily.

2 Likes

I’ll try it this weekend, I should receive A4 friday. :sunny: ::heart_eyes:

Yes the trig conditions are really great as well as polyrythms etc. Despite those, I still have the feeling the OT midi sequencer is more powerful for my needs. The Arp is better especially together with the midi lfo’s.
Since I want to start a little modular I ask myself if I should get a midi/cv module and use the OT for sequencing instead of the A4. Does anyone know if this has drawbacks compared to using the A4 (besides the need of an extra module).

Different approach on Ot midi sequencer but yes, with Arp, Lfo design on Arp Speed x Lfo Rdm you can have very interesting rythmical random variations, notes and velocity variations…

1 Like

exactly, that’s the features I’m thinking about

Sure, I use it a lot. I’m a big fan of it :slight_smile:

fantastic

1 Like

Hey all in this dead thread - can a4 do pendulum or reverse or random? Just messing with Manther and those options just give it so much variation

no. none of that

2 Likes

I don’t mind that this doesn’t exist as I manage perfectly well without but I have always wondered why it wasn’t ever implemented in/on the ‘famous Elektron sequencer’

3 Likes

Ah thank you

Yes I suppose with trig mutes and probability you can get some interesting variations and while it’s different to pendulum I guess you could program pendulum and reverse patterns with a bit of copy paste