Analog four (Narrow sweet spot, seeking solutions from other users.)

It’s been said on this forum that the A4 has a narrow sweet spot for a number of reasons. (I can’t corroborate because it’s the only synth I own) I’m curious what strategies other users are using to control the beast.
~ If I find the sound muddy I usually simplify the oscillators and adjust filters.

Thanks in advance.

1 Like

Volume/Level on the oscillators can make a difference. I’ve discovered that turning the oscillators down a bit can help with the muddy sound and can improve the way the overdrive affects the sound.

I also use the second filter set to Peak (pk) and sweep the frequency range until I find a setting that opens up the sound further (eg for bass set to lower mids/low etc, add highs for chord stabs etc).

Also, for bass sounds, I tend to skip the first filter and set the second filter to LP (4-pole) and use that to shape the sound. I like how that filter sounds.

I also find the DCOs’ stable sound sometimes lacks movement to my ears, so I use the LFOs (subtle settings) to introduce a bit of aliveness to the sound.

6 Likes

Agreed. Balancing the filters takes some work, and OSC level is key. I head and can attest that around 60 is pretty safe for keeping headroom.

Also never forget the tools you have. 4 LFOs, many ENV assignments, 3 sync options, AM, etc.

It almost feels more surgical than most analog synths I’ve used in the past. Use this to your advantage.

3 Likes

I found a solution. (Unwisely bought a prophet-6)

2 Likes

cash money!!! :slight_smile:

1 Like