Analog Four mkII - turn off pattern mode

Hello, all …

I recently purchased an AnalogFour mkII because it truly sounds beautiful. However, I want to use it as a very basic MIDI synth controlled by Logic, and not use the pattern sequencer. One day I may, but right now, I just want to record MIDI events into Logic, and send them to the synth for it to play - much like my Roland XV5080, Yamaha Motif ES Rack, Virus Darkstar, Nord Lead 4, etc. However, every time I record MIDI from the AnalogFour into Logic, and press Play in Logic to play it back, it starts the AnalogFour’s pattern mode and plays what’s in the pattern, and doesn’t play back what I recorded.

In short, I just want to choose a patch on the AnalogFour, record MIDI events using that patch into Logic, and play the MIDI events from Logic back and have the notes play - not some pattern, but the notes I recorded. How do I turn off the pattern mode on the AnalogFour so it will do this? I tried disabling the transport receive in the MIDI sync menu, but this did not work.

How do I do this? I’m using Overbridge.

Regards,

John

If you open up the Analog Four plugin in Logic you should see a Sync drop-down. Try selecting either No Sync or Clock. That should disable playing patterns when you hit play or record in Logic.

You can re-select Clock+Transport or Song Position (for Song Mode) when recording MIDI back into Logic to start playing patterns on the A4 again.

Indeed, that stops the pattern from playing, but the MIDI events recorded into Logic still do not play on the AnalogFour (even though I recorded them from the AnalogFour keyboard).

Here is a video I created that demonstrates the issue: analogFourIssue.mov - Google Drive

On the A4 try checking Settings -> MIDI Config -> Port Config -> Receive Notes and see if that’s turned on.

Many thanks again for the response. Yes, receive notes is turned on (checked), but still the unit doesn’t play the MIDI notes that Logic is sending it.

One other idea to try. Create a new External MIDI track in Logic:

1. Track -> New Tracks…
  2. Select External MIDI
  3. Ensure “Use External Instrument plug-in” is selected.
  4. Under MIDI Destination select “Elektron Analog Four MKII”. You can pick which MIDI channel to use.

If you copy your prior MIDI track to this new track it should hopefully start playing on the A4.

OK, I found how to do it - I remember having this problem with my Digitone Keys a couple of years ago. I had the MIDI channel in Logic set to All for the track. I just needed to set it to 1 (to play track 1 on the AnalogFour), and that fixed it.

I do sincerely appreciate the help from everyone here! I know that the pattern / sequencer is a big part of the Elektron experience, but I do everything in Logic and just want to control the instruments that way. This allows me to do that :slight_smile:

3 Likes