Analog Four MkII new all black version... any reason why it might get frozen?

just arrived yesterday
turned it on and sticks on the very first image
very scary
waited a long time just staring at it disappointed
finally pushed through to the other side
why would my new friend torture me like this?

very concerned
x1212

1 Like

Try the Test Mode.
Enter to EARLY STARTUP MENU by power on while simultaneously holding the [FUNCTION] key.
And Open a support ticket with Elektron.

what should test mode tell me?

What software version is it reporting on boot? It probably shipped with 1.50. You should update to 1.50a which should fix the hanging on boot up issue.

Also, The analogs have large capacitors inside them they don’t like be shut off and on rapidly. so when you power down. wait at least 30-40 seconds before powering back up. :slight_smile:

Updating should be fairly easy.

1. Download and Install the newest version of transfer as well as the newest OS update from elektron.se.

2. Make sure your Midi settings on the A4 are set to USB for in and out (usb+midi will make it take forever as Midi Din has less bandwidth and limits all data speeds over usb as well)

3. Connect the A4 to your computer with the usb cable (make sure it’s turned off while you do this.

4. Power on the A4 and open Transfer. Connect the A4 (should be self explanatory)

5. Drag the new OS onto the transfer window. It should ask if you want to update the OS and you should see confirmation on the A4 as well. Just follow the steps and you should be set. :slight_smile:

If you aren’t sure what settings you’re looking for I made a video about this using the Digitone and and C6, The menus aren’t terribly different between the devices so you can get your A4 set up correctly for transfer. just skip the C6 portion of the video and use transfer which is drag and drop these days.

6 Likes

thanks so much, i think my A4 has the medicine it needed now. That was stressful. Cheers!
have a great weekend
x1212

5 Likes

hey I noticed that a lot of the banks of sounds I had when I was first exploring this machine are now gone after that update
were they overwritten by these ones that are here now, if so how do i merge the old ones with these new ones??
theres only an A & B bank now, before I think it went to at least I or J

that’s all that every new unit has populated

1 Like

Swear there was more, scouts honor :neutral_face:

a firmware update doesn’t affect the +drive anyway - either way, if new, there should only be sounds in banks A and B from the factory

It is possible that your unit wasn’t new. Perhaps you got a unit that someone else returned (possibly having added their own sounds while they had it) and then the store you bought it from just sent it back out (to you).

2 Likes

maybe I was just seeing things and I dont know what im talkin about.
could it have been another section of the A4 with banks of things named?

pretty sure mine was brand new, i trust the store I bought it from and there was a tamper seal on the packaging

something along those lines - unless you’ve consciously erased the +Drive, there’s no way the other banks [C>P] would ordinarily lose any content - it won’t occur during an os upgrade