Analog Four Mk1 - yay or nay?

I bought my mkii after trying out a mki…

“C I N E M A T I C”

Was my initial thought…

yay…

5 Likes

That’s what my Mk1 has. Pretty convenient when you want to run one voice into a module or distortion unit.

2 Likes

If a mk2 came along at the same low price I paid for the mk1, I might consider it. Even then, I might not bother. The current price differential is absurd.

Yay!

Get one. I’ve only used the mkii, but have seen (heard!) what others have done with the mki, and it is a BARGAIN.

Elektron Analog Four MK1 - 4 Voice Analogue Synthesiser Sequencer 7350049243757 | eBay for example…insane

1 Like

I’m gonna go against the grain here and say its worth springing for the MK2. I have an A4 mk1, AR mk1, and OT mk2, and I really prefer the mk2. Obviously the screen is significantly larger and the multicolor trigs make it much easier to see whats going on. But one thing I rarely hear mentioned is that the encoders are better calibrated and more responsive. Sweeping a knob on the mk2 feels much more similar to sweeping an analog potentiometer than the mk1.

people focus on the sound being the “same,” but if differences in playability cause you to use one machine differently from another, then they don’t really “sound” the same after all.

of course the price difference is significant, and for all my talk i havent sold my mk1s to upgrade to mk2. mk2s dont fit in my stands anyway :frowning:

9 Likes

This, along with the screen and digitakt style buttons are what made me upgrade to the mk2. The combination of the sluggish mk1 screen and the slow mk1 encoders might not be a huge issue, but it was something that negatively impacted my experience with the mk1.

The price difference is huge, but for me it was worth it. I can only recommend the mk1 if you plan on using the overbridge plugin and not play the machine itself. Unless you find a really good deal on an mk1.

Also, switching to the A4 mk2 has completely removed all GAS for any mk1 gear, no matter how cheap they’re being sold for.

9 Likes

But to counter that. If you’re asking on here, you are not sure. The MK1 has (surely?!) bottomed out, so the risk of not getting back most of what you spend, if you don’t like it, is low.

Conversly, I can buy a new Mkii today, and tomorrow it is worth 200GBP less, because the low Mk1 price (and maybe the unfair unloved status of the A4) have softened the 2nd hand price even of the Mkii

2 Likes

More Yay of the sometimes overlooked variety:
Yay: if you’re into tweaking patches and making amazing analog drum sounds. (A4 is actually pretty amazing drum machine too!)
Yay: as a bonus FX unit - can feed sounds into it, and on a track, per trig, manipulate the FX and sound levels etc to get some pretty sweet processing as an FX unit, when you feel like it. (I’ve used my A4 as a guitar processor a couple times and it is wiiiiild…)

Re I vs II — I bought my MkI during the fat price dip before the mk2 was released, and I haven’t used a MkII, and have no real desire to change.

4 Likes

The verdict is overwhelming!

I appreciate the peppering of preference for the mkii as well.

But I do think too, as someone considering picking an mki up, I’d be disappointed if I missed the boat and down the road these deals disappear. Who knows. It does have modern classic written all over it.

2 Likes

With used prices in the ~$700 range, what else could you buy?
A quartet of Volcas? Two TD-3s and a Crave?

Any time 303 madness peaks, people will notice that the A4 is a quartet of acid voices that are also perfectly competent sequenced analog monosynths when you are done raving. Elektron branding and support and generally courteous behavior complete the package.

I hit the jackpot on my MD and MnM, so I’m pleased that others will be able to enjoy the ride up from rock bottom.

You really can’t go wrong when your choices amount to awesome, awesomer and awesomist.

2 Likes

The ONLY thing I can’t deal with on the Mk1 Analogs is the tiny screen! My eyesight sucks and the description ‘it’s like painting the house through the letterbox’ has never been more accurate than it is here.

1 Like

I feel like the knob per function really did end up being a big deal for me on the A4, really used it all the time until I got a synth that was just as flexible but fully knobby and then I sadly just didn’t use it at all. I’ve had it in its box for over a year now :frowning: I suppose it is time to set it free but it is hard knowing how many cool things you can do with it. Probably worth the cost of an MK1 alone just to use it as an analog filter bank on audio input

2 Likes

I’ll add my voice to the “yay” column. I originally had an A4, then sold it to buy the Analog Keys (which I love). Lately I have been thinking of adding another Analog Four and the form factor of the MkI makes it the best choice, allowing me to combine it with my Octatrack and/or Rytm MkI in a little rack/stand built for the older form factor. I love those compact, feature-packed bricks.

9 Likes

Yep. And here’s an idea for the OP… for the price of a new/newer A4 Mk2 you could get TWO Mk1’s and rack em up together for an 8 voice, 8 track, double fx unit, midi/cv sequencing monster.

6 Likes

I think it’s time for you to dive into the AK world, my friend :grin:

5 Likes

I was gonna say so, too… but didn’t want to be a GAS enabler. After all, as a nefarious influence, I’m a mere amateur compared to some. :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

Haha. Brilliant!

Let’s be honest though, did I really post this thread thinking I would be dissuaded? GAS loves company.

3 Likes

I’m just picking on @DonovanDwyer because of his innate and almost effortless ability to convince me to part with my hard-earned lucre.

4 Likes

On my wish list ! Almost same price as A4 MKI sometimes here in France.
Corresponding to my OCD criterias, black and MKI size x2, or Digi/AH size x3.

The question is what would be above ?
OT, keeping my A4, becoming 8 voices, or replace it with an AR MKI, or a 2nd OT MKI ? :crazy_face:
Or DT+DN+AH? :scream:

Well, I also like tiny configs ! Anyway I feel like tonight it will be A4 alone…:wink:

2 Likes

I think I saw one for 600e sur AF

1 Like