Analog Four Mk1 freezing due to MIDI in?

I’m reconnecting my gear after using it in a different setup and have a problem with my A4 mk1 freezing after hooking it up to the new MIDI setup (connected to my DAW, Octatrack, etc.)

No response from any of the buttons (track buttons, transport, etc.) but it seems to work fine when I reboot having disconnected the MIDI in. I’m going to check all the MIDI routing to see if anything obvious is wrong but has anyone come across this and is there any MIDI setting I can enable/disable to make this less likely to occur?

You probably have a MIDI loop – MIDI from the A4 is getting sent back to it somehow, which is then getting sent back out again, which overwhelms it and locks it up…From my experience with this it’s usually from the DAW. You can adjust MIDI setting on the A4 to stop this (stop it receiving or sending MIDI), depending on what you need it to do. That’s usually simplest, I think, but your DAW will also have settings to help.

1 Like

Thanks. That’s probably the case. The MIDI setup is a bit on the complex side so I’ll track down where that’s happening.

1 Like

That looks like it was the cause. Tried an alternative setup (syncing my keystep via usb instead of MIDI - the problem of needing to sync an output device) and that sorted it out. I was just a bit concerned it might be a fault as I didn’t know midi could make the device lock like that. Thanks for the tip :slight_smile:

2 Likes