Analog Four MK1 as first Analog Poly

I currently use the Digitone as my go to Poly synth and absolutely love it! After the latest A4 update that adds track scaling, randomization, etc… I’ve been thinking what an A4 would be like. What really intrigues me with the A4 mk1 is the positive reviews, built in sequencer, fx automation track, a capable analog drum machine and the low cost.

I’m actually thinking of getting rid of my Access Virus C to fund it. Reason is, I never really use the Virus C to it’s fullest capability as far as modulation, polyphony, or it’s multi-timbral nature. I vibe way more with the Elektron workflow and I think having the Digitone and A4 sequencers running in sync would lead to some awesome happy accidents (direct jump). I also use a Machinedrum and am familiar with Kit Structure.

I currently have no Analog Poly synth, only a Bass Station 2 (analog mono) I’ve seen A4 go as cheap as $450 - $500 , seems like an awesome deal. I would more than likely continue to use my BS2 for bass duties as I’ve heard the A4 bass lacks in the low end. Any thoughts on how this unit might pair with a Digitone as far as mixing them and would I be gaining a lot of variety in patterns by running 2 seperate Elektron Sequencers that are clock sync’d? Are the A4s really that hard to find the sweet spots? Thanks!

I think it can be a great combo with DN. Give it a try!
Considering sweet spots, it doesn’t seem that difficult starting from scratch. It can get evolved and subtle, with unexpected good surprises.

1 Like

Just to offer a counter view for completeness, I had an AK and found it difficult to program sweet spots easily and eventually sold it. It wasn’t really made as a poly but as a 4 voice mono - poly mode was added later. Have you had a look at Behringer’s Deep Mind or Roland’s JU-06A which both have many more instant sweet spots? You can use your existing gear to sequence them so you’re not too unfamiliar with them. Just some thoughts anyway. There are plenty of people on here who love the A4, so I’m sure it’s very powerful. It’s just a balance between instant creation and vibe versus complexity and sound design capabilities :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

just to chime in: I use my A4 Mk1 almost exclusively as 4-voice polysynth and I love it so much that it cured all GAS for any other polysynth (at least for now, lol).

Programming it can seem hard at first, as the Analog 4 is feature packed and has a few idiosyncrasies to consider, but once you get the hang of it, you will be able to dial in sounds rather quickly.

You can either program one sound on one track and play that with up to four voices OR you can program four different sounds on four tracks and play those together as one 4-voice poly.

I especially love my A4 for spacey and evolving pads.

EDIT: On the topic of bass, I felt that the A4 was severely lacking in this department at first, but once I picked up a few tips (eg turn down the oscillator volume, use overdrive, use the first filter as LP, second one as peak filter to sweep the desirable frequencies etc) I got MAAAAD bass out of it. It isn’t as immediate for bass as eg a Minitaur or an Erebus, but it def delivers in that department as well (and with its own sound).

8 Likes

I already have a solid sweet spot synth, Yamaha Reface CS, that I think would sound a lot like the JU06A. Deepmind looks cool but I’m just too in love with the Elektron workflow and the sequencer. I feel like my Reface CS, Bass Station 2, and Digitone are all fairly immediate from a sound creation standpoint, so I’m wanting something that may be able to go a bit deeper. My Virus C can go deep but sometimes I don’t feel I utilize it enough, I’ll probably keep it still though as it’s very flexible.

I’m probably just bored at this point and fancy the idea of having 2 sequencers that I can use together. Also having an actually analog poly with sequencer could lend itself to doing drums very well. A bout of gas perhaps.

1 Like

By all means go for it. You can always sell it for the same money you paid if it doesn’t work out. It seems you already know what you want and are going to get an A4 :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Thanks for the info. I’ll be doing some more research on it before I dive in. I shouldn’t be buying anymore gear really. I think I just gathering info due to boredom, but the prices are pretty damn low for a 4 voice analog synth. Maybe I’ll check out the Deepmind and get some more info on it. Do you use the Deepmind yourself?

1 Like

No never tried it, but when DN had (still does have) hanging notes, I was on the hunt for a six voice minimum synth to play from a guitar midi pickup. That one seemed a whole lot of synth for minimal outlay and was based on the Juno. Ended up sticking with DN for the time being as Elektron confirmed hanging notes as a bug. Got the JU-06A as a compromise and playing that with only four note chords is an absolute joy. Best Boutique by a mile

3 Likes

The oscillators can take up plenty of space so I’ve never been too bothered by the voice count on it… and it is absolutely great for drum crafting. I’d also say anyone who loves the elektron sequencer really should give it a go… in many ways it feels like the most complete sequencer of all of them. Stuff like separate layers for glide, accent, note mute and parameter slides really does add some extra layers to it and what you can do live. The instant pattern jump can be used pretty creatively also, lets it contrast with the digi boxes. I never really use the song mode but I suppose it is there if that’s your thing. Totally worth a shot when you have the time to learn it.

3 Likes

Bought it to use as an analog poly but found myself using 4 mono tracks…hahaha

Its a killer synth…but so is your virus…I still use my snowTI for polly chords, rather than tie up all 4 tracks of the A4 with a chord.

The virus is an excellent VA, and a great drum machine, I would never move it on…sequence it with your DN for that snappy Elektron sequencer feel…and big lush pads when you need. You can mess with 8 parameters with plocks and then mod wheel can be set to mess with the mods inside the virus patch…

Then buy an A4 anyway…cause they are frekn cool, especially the cv out on euro…Will definitely shift your bordoms…

3 Likes

Very simple … if 4 voices are all you need, its okay … but for richt lush pads I would look at other places.

IMO a good polysynth for a player and rich big pads should come with at least 6 to 8 (the more the better) voices and a keybed with no less than 61 keys.

More voices pay off, if we play long overlapping notes in chords with two hands. If the synth provides not enough voices, voice stealing can become an issue.

2 Likes

not really. But for certain stuff it‘s good to know some tricks e.g. the often mentioned bass makeup with the second filter in peak or highpass mode or setting voice allocation to rotating for pad sounds. Or which type of envelope works best for certain sounds.
Or that can get more of a „vintage tone“ with a bit of negative filter overdrive and resonant boost turned of. Or that the triangle wave with full pulse width setting sounds better than the actual saw wave etc etc etc
All these infos are here on the forum and actually makes exploring the A4 even more fun imo.
It sounds really great. But it has so many parameters and the parameters such a wide range that it sometimes can take some time to get the sound you are after, but chances are high that you discover great unexpected different sounds on that journey.
It sure is more a box that can do almost everything instead of doing few sweet spots.

I heard great basses and pads coming out of that box, no doubt it can be done

Edit: I can point to some examples for basses and pads I used in my latest tracks if you are interested, but I don’t want to spam the thread with self promotion :upside_down_face:

4 Likes

Thanks @Unifono for the info and tips! I’d like to hear those tracks you’ve made.

@SoundRider I typically don’t play big chords, I’m more into just doing 2 note intervals. I don’t see the 4 voices being a big limitation. Although I could regret that and eat my words down the road.

For me my AK is more of a “4 synths in a box” instrument rather than a poly. For small chords it’s okay.

If you one day need some long evolving pads with many overlapping notes … I use that for kind of ambient styles … you might just want to get another synth, which is doing this well :wink:

1 Like
Unifono A4 examples

This one is completely A4.
https://unifono.bandcamp.com/track/a-pad

The pad that comes in at 00:33, the pad at 00:52, and the lead at 01:10
https://unifono.bandcamp.com/track/apex

The bass at 00:34
https://unifono.bandcamp.com/track/motherboard

The pad at 00:00, the lead at 01:06 and the pad at 03:34
https://unifono.bandcamp.com/track/resonant

The bass at 00:00 and the lead at 00:47
https://unifono.bandcamp.com/track/swing

Hope that helps with the decision.
Mk1 A4 is best value for the money anyway imo

1 Like

I’m currently selling my A4. I got it about 3 years ago and used it a bit on our new album, though it was always a bit of work to get some good things out of it. I guess it’s a matter of opinion, but personally I don’t see it as being a good main synth or first synth. It can work well with other stuff, but I would never recommend it on its own. With that said, I have one with the individual out modification if you want to buy it. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@Unifono that first track you posted really sells the A4 sound. I’m digging it. I got a little bit lost in your tunes while listening for the examples, great work btw.

@slicetwo I keep hearing mixed reviews about getting good sounds out of the A4. I guess I wouldn’t know until I play with one myself. This wouldn’t be my main synth, it would work with a Digitone, Reface CS, Bass Station 2, and a few others. But it would be my first analog poly synth. The individual outs look to be an awesome addition, but in already out of inputs on my interface. If I am to get an A4 in trying to buy for around $500, I’m a cheap ass. :grin:

I told myself no more gear purchases, so this would probably be at the end of the year if I do decide to move forward. Maybe I should just dig into my Virus C a bit more.

2 Likes