Analog Four in contrast with Moog and other synths

Hahahaha

That would the ā€œFinnish himā€ stage of Mortal Kombat, just before taking a good nap on the island :slight_smile:

Why do you say that as far as it being better for EDM trance house industrial than the MOOG?

What aspects are better on the Analog ?

Besides not having the keyboard of the Moog of course.

I am shopping and thinking about this sort of choice actually.

the sequencer, the fact that it has four tracks, the effects and polyphony.
the sound is matter of taste. most people will probably prefer the moog

Envelopes and LFOs, as well.
They are a whole novel :slight_smile:

1 Like

The A4 can be programed surgically and with precision, it (like all electron units with sequencers) can sound like a different patch on every step of a sequence. I have 2 Moog synths and a DFAM and love them, but they are ā€œslowerā€ sounding if that makes sense, like chewing thick toffee. Or stiring malasis.

That is why I have the Sub Phatty controlled by the A4mkii and the Sub37 controlled by the DT. So I can have that rich Moog sound but sliced and diced with Elektron sequencers / plocks etc. The A4mkii is just a far more versitile instrument. With a larger pallet, and more to offer other gear including any Moog. My two Moogs are plugged into the A4s inputs and are using the lush reverb and fx. All also sequenced by the A4.

3 Likes

Episode 9: The Rise of Sinewalkers

3 Likes

Donā€™t forget the Moog One spinoff.

Iā€™m setting up my A4 to control my Intellijel Atlantis. I love its sounds for bass duties. I love that with the A4, I effectively get modular presets (for CVs, but thatā€™s like potentially a gazillion parametersā€¦).

1 Like

What way do you do this? I have both (Sub 37 & A4mk2) and never even considered it, are you using the CV inā€™s to p-lock the Moog?

So first, you should make sure the pitch is in tune for 1v/octave. Thatā€™s the first CV.

Second CV is your level. That should be a static CV (value Lin) modulated by an envelope in the A4, which goes into the VCA CV. Start with a Lin CV of zero.

Third static CV (value Lin) goes into the filter. Turn the filter all the way down. Now you can control it with the linear CV and you can modulate your filter with an envelope and or LFO, or any parameter from your notes (if playing in with a controller, velocity and aftertouch are also good options). Just modulate the linear CV and set it as you base level.

Now, with 3 CV outs, you can sequence the pitch, volume, envelope, and filter characteristics. On my Atlantis there is also a handy 1v/oct to filter fader.

What CV 4 for? PWM? Mix of waveforms? Anything you can CV is fair game.

Run it into the effects track, save as a sound, and you have an analog synth with presets and p-locks. Even sound locks.

5 Likes

Hey Dapifer what @JES said ā€¦in fact its far more eloquently putā€¦

I have the SUB Phatty controlled by the CV out of the A4MKII not the Sub 37, The Sub 37 is controlled mainly by the DT though by MIDI - because it already has 2 syncable LFOs that can control a myriad of parameters, and the SUB Phatty only has one LFO. (Saying that im going to give it a try with the Sub37 as the CV in on the Sub 37 can be assigned to Many Many Parameters other than Filter Cuttoff now im thinking about it)ā€¦I like things about the two and a combination of DT and A4MKII controlling the one synth would be my preference and with the Subs it possible.

Also now that the A4MKII has MIDI note out you could control the note on / off with the MIDI out of the FX track and have 4 CV outs to plug into the SUB. sending combos of the LFOs and Envelopes to volume, pitch and Filter (or Whatever you assign to the CV in on the Moog).

Currently however, For the Sub Phatty i have the MIDI through of the A4MKII sending clock out to the Phatty so the internal LFO of the Moog syncs to clock. Then i have 3 of the CV outs in the A4MKII sending Pitch (the range is something weird like 0 to .668v per Octave I will check) and Gate, and then i have CV A Sending its value plus added modulation from the Plockable 2 x LFOs and 2 x Envelopes added to the CV A amount.

So you can assign the LFOs and PLOCK the Waveform / Multiple / Amount (anything from slow synced to audio rate mayhem) and have that change ā€œper stepā€ if you like. Its 20 x more expressive in a not so musical way. But gives the Phatty a rhythmic funk that only Elektron sequencers can add.

CV B the last of the CV outs is controlling the filter cutt of the SUB 37, its better than the DT for this as the rate of the DT LFO out over MIDI is really quite slow compared to CV. But the DT is also plugged in to the SUB 37 over MIDI sending Sync, Note values and 8 parameters (F attack, F Release, A Attack, A Release, Multidrive, Filter Pole, Res, LFO 1 Rate) (or what ever you want) mod wheel / pitch wheel / program change all also PLOCKABLE per step. so the combination of MIDI and CV is nutts.

4 Likes

Donā€™t forget trig conditionalā€¦

Oh yeah, thanks, I mean I have the A4 sending CV to the 0-Coast so Iā€™m familiar with the process, I just never really tried it out with the Sub 37 cv ins. Might switch it about and give it a try, You had me wondering for a second if I could do it by midi cc though now that the A4 send midi, but I guess thatā€™s just the Digitakt that has that much midi control (and OT obvs).

Unfortunately I have a broken jack adaptor stuck inside my 4th CV which happened only a couple days after I bought it, really need to get that sorted out, lesson learned not to use cheap adaptors with high end gear.

2 Likes

Hi everyone. Iā€™ve been on the fence about this for weeks. I canā€™t really decide on what I would like for my setup as they seem both equally appealing. The Elektron Analog Four MKII or the Moog Matriarch.
Iā€™ve been keeping it simple with my Mother 32 >Eventide Space > Digitakt setup, but would like to finally purchase an analog piece of gear that can allow be to be more musical as well as creative. I do need some chord structure in my my music as well, so both seem to help with such. What are the pros and cons of each? What is your personal preference?

Theyā€™re so different, I wouldnā€™t even know where to begin to compare the two.

Assuming price isnā€™t an issue, since theyā€™re in different leagues when it comes to price, Iā€™d say this -

The Matriach is the modern take on vintage gear. Itā€™s modular with no patch memory and sounds very much like them Moogs from that place in time where they were in fashion the first time around. It has a great keybed and is a treat to play, but it is a sound designerā€™s synth where experimentation never ends and is part of a journey you enjoy.

The Analog Four is everything modern times can bring to analogue gear, with patch memory, flexible fx and a fantastic sequencer. Itā€™s a composerā€™s dream. Itā€™s a bit frail in sound compared to the mighty Matriach, even though it can kick down walls on its own for sure, but that sound isnā€™t the worse option, itā€™s just another. It can go to distant and lush places the Matriach just canā€™t, and itā€™s funky as hell when you combine drums, bass and a bounce or two to build a complete track within the box.

The more you want to write an entire piece within the box, and donā€™t be bothered with the romance of vintage workflow, the more the A4 might be for you.

But if you want to design tracks and sounds like grandpa used to do, you should know that this approach remains as relevant today. That workflow will also take you to places the convenience of modern times wonā€™t.

10 Likes

To add some GAS to the fire of the A4, Iā€™ve heard that it is an excellent drum machine as well.

So you get some variety there too.

All depends like @circuitghost says though. If you want to spend hours doing sound design and living in the moment knowing it will never sound exactly the same Iā€™d go for the Moog!

Sound profiles are different as wellā€¦

1 Like

Yeah, the A4 is a killer drummer.

When it comes to sheer weight and body, Iā€™ve yet to hear anything that beats a Moog, though.

Iā€™ve also noticed that the Matriarch and Grandmother lends itself better to multitracking than some other recent Moogs. While certainly demanding in its presence, it does seem to leave room for more tracks without the need to reach for eq and stuff. The Sub37 was just all over the place, but the Subseq was easier, so whatever they did there, they brought it into the Mothas.

1 Like

Make a decision between:

Moog Sound vs Rolandish Sound
and
No Patch saving vs Patch saving.

Get an analog keys! Cheaper than both, more features than both :grin:

4 Likes

How would you all characterize the sound of the A4 ladder filter (not the multi mode filter)? Moog style? Roland? Curtis? Iā€™ve never had access to one in person and I donā€™t always trust YouTube videos.