Analog Four DinSync24 knowledge share

A while back i had problems syncing my Pamelas Workout to an Elektron Analog Four. This has been a widespread topic on many Eurorack modular forums and the Electron gear always seems to get the blame for having ‘sloppy clocks’ which i always found hard to believe when it clocks my other gear so well.

Basically my Pamelas workout ran in time with the A4 with no drift but it was just lagging behind the clock a little and it made everything just sound sloppy. I sold it on in the end as i just couldn’t sort it.

I recently bought a Tiptop Trigger riot and lo and behold when i tried syncing it with the A4 i got the exact same thing when using the trigger riot DIN setting. After a bit of investigation and contact with Chris from tiptop I found he had a second setting for din24 in his devices he calls 24p. i used this setting instead and straight away its rock solid to an amazing degree. The next paragraph is a quote from an email from chris himself and I hope it might be of use to you all if you are having any clocking issues with your Elektron DinSync.

Our device have a number of clock options including two for ‘DIN’:

**DIN - this is the Roland Sync24 with a 24 PPQN clock and a Run signal that goes high when play starts. Roland never published a spec on Sync24 but the 808 service manual mentions a delay of no particular length between the Run signal going high and the clocks pulses actually starting to count. If you get this wrong the timing will be very noticeably off by 10ms or more. There is also a delay for each clock pulse to account for the processing lag in the old Roland TR series. The delay time is somewhat in-between the 606/808 and 707/909 making it slightly behind the earlier devices and ahead of the ones with MIDI. **

**24P - this is Sync24 but without any of the delays. Many (if not most or all) of the modern devices offering ‘DIN Sync’ output the clock without any delay after the Run signal so the classic Sync24 devices will miss the first clock and be behind almost 10ms at 120 BPM. **

Hope this helps
Chris

Tiptop Audio R&D

It seems to me that there is a mass confusion in the Sync24 standard among manufacturers out there. I have a current problem trying to get my Intellijel Metropolis to sync properly to the A4 din sync. A simple clock out of the CV ports seems to work better but I’m now having trouble with reset signals. A simple cv trigger should work right? The metropolis is giving me a right headache. No such trouble with Rene so I’m currently blaming the Metropolis.

Any other stories, cures and A4 clock out setups appreciated. Can you use a cv trigger as a reset? Is there a simple solution for sending reset signals as well as clocks from the A4 transport?

1 Like

The A4 CV outs could scarcely be any more flexible -there’s almost certainly ways to do most useful things you might like, within reason

Sharing this post of mine from a while back for info

1 Like