Analog Four crash / freezing

Hello dear Elektronauts!

Please take a look at my documentation video of Analog Four crashing. It is happening during operation in SOUND menu: browse, filter, adding to soundpool …) and it is caused when FUNCTION + SOUND buttons are pressed - at that moment it is crashing. It was happening before and after upgrade of firware. Do you think the reason can be unstable electrical network at my place, as my distributor of AF suspects?

Kind regards
Bartosz

I have also experienced this behavior with my Analog Keys. Haven’t been able to replicate it exactly, so I don’t have a precise step list. Here’s what I’ve found:
-Happens in OS 1.1D and 1.22
-Happens when pressing YES+SOUND
-Happens if the sequencer is in playback mode

After it happened 3 or 4 times I’ve avoided pressing YES+SOUND while the sequencer is running, I’m a bit scared this freeze might ruin the unit

Hello. Thanks for your answer.
Here is an answer from Elektron Support about this freezing issues:

Hi, This is a known bug that we are trying to figure out what is causing it. Unfortunately it’s hard to replicate it, so we haven’t found the cause or solution yet. However, we are very aware of it and hope to fix it soon. It is not a hardware fault. Good news is that it shouldn’t cause any loss of data since the working memory will be intact after rebooting, but it is of course a big nuisance when this happens.

For me it is a poor excuse! I my case it is happening 2-3 times per 1 hour and it makes me angry! Especially that I’ve bought A4 few weeks ago and it is happening till beginning.

Bartosz

I’ve had it too but only once or twice and have been unable to determine how to make it happen consistently. If anyone can find a reliable method, Elektron will be able to fix much quicker. Fortunately, it hasn’t happened for a few weeks, but I have a gig on Saturday…

After our initial correspondence I spent a good hour trying to find a way to consistently replicate the issue, and… I did! So hopefully we’ll be able to sort this out very soon.

Its similar to the RYTM freeze, probably they share some of the same code.

In addition to the constant squealing Overbridge noise described in this thread, my A4 now freezes upon receiving any Overbridge MIDI data.

Here’s hoping the next update is less of a disaster.

Had mine freeze up last month, with OS 1.22 as welll. Midi slaved to an Electribe ESX. The buttons didnt respond but the sequencer kept playing.

Every time it happened to me the sequencer was running. I don’t save Sounds now unless the sequence is stopped.

Happens to me too on OS 1.22. Geez, that’s a pretty bad defect in the Firmware shall I say. How about Elektron does focus less on OB and more on stable FW…

Would love to see this bug, and the Performance assignments name bug squashed in an update very soon-like!

If you have recreateable crashes try unplugging the usb cable leave it out and try again. I only plug mine in to do updates or transfer sounds. The usb seemed to contribute to my previous a4s instability… I don’t use overbridge so I don’t need the cable plugged in all the time.

Same problem here. A4 freezing in the sound menu.

Also as Master with the newest update the FOUR/KEYS freezes the same way at my side sometimes. the Rytm freezes that way, too in 1.30c :frowning: It happens very unexpected and is fixed when rebooted like in your video.

Definitly NOT cool while performing before the crowd and suddenly you can’t do anything because the UI completely freezed…

Hey @Ess , was this particular freezing issue you tracked down ever fixed? I got a used AK over a month ago and have had 5 or 6 freezes (unit unresponsive but keeps playing a sequence, or still receives external midi) so not sure if this is a different freezing issue or the old one you mentioned. using latest beta and firmware here. My freezes have always occurred when using OB but I don’t know if it’s a factor or not. cheers

I will hazard a guess that if you’re using the OB Beta, it is indeed a factor.
The only AK freezes I’ve ever had were with the OB Beta. I’ve never been able to re-create the freeze with OB Beta disconnected.

3 Likes

Still happening the freeze with OS v1.51 while running within Ableton11. So many time to address this issue and we dont have a solid solution yet. will it be from ableton 11?
Lately 3 times in 3 hours. wtf.

3 Likes

I can confirm this freeze bug when using A4 mk2 with ST. Simple seq. sync. I don’t know how but setup is hardware only without a DAW… it also freezes A4 completely. Had to reboot couple times. 1.51c OS. Any fix?

I will try freezing it more to see the combo. I freezed it 3x-4x within the last 20 min…

1 Like