Analog Four Bass Tips

Hi guys,

Own the analog four, totally love it. However, I still find myself often times messing around to get a good bass sound out of it.

What tips can you guys give me?

Cheers

It’s not Minimoog, but some good bass sounds can be coaxed out of it. It doesn’t do those fat vintage basses like on an old p-funk record, more like a modern take on an SH-101.

Though it doesn’t always sound nice, one trick to make huge bass sounds is to use the feedback oscillator in oscillator 1.

Sub oscillators often work too. obviously

Distortion (the one with positive values) boosts the bass as well.

Square waves are the bassiest of the wafeforms available.

You usually need the right filter settings too. Turn up the resonance a bit, then lower the filter 1 frequency. High pass and peak filters on filter 2 can increase the bass too, when you turn up the resonance and use the right frequency setting.

I’ve also noticed that a bit of EQ boost at the low frequencies can sound nice, if you don’t overdo it. The EQ has to be of good quality though.

Usually good bass on an A4 is a combination of things, not a single trick.

1 Like

http://www.elektronauts.com/t/a4-deep-bass-tips/3883/33007

Thanks guys! great tips

IMO Elektron stuffed up big time by not including at least the same 1 band parametric EQ
that is in every machine on the MnM on the A4/AK.

And to think, I used to dream of a 3 band for the mono…damm then look out!..
but no did not get.

Worse they dropped EQ all together other than as effects on the OT.

With PL’s and the 1 shot LFO’s it were the sh1t is at as far a getting the thumping low end.

1 Like

Well, the filter 2 can work like an EQ. Cut out the bottom end with highpass, cut unwanted frequencies out with notch, boost frequencies with peak.

Sync ossilators can be very interesting. ( for high freq. witch define alot the caracter ) also put the ossc in retrig at ossc-page 2.
so the ossc’s will restart at note on if you want the bass to be cnosistent.
You could use Filter 2 in different ways - ex : Highpass but on low Frequencies. Adding overdrive after filter 1 can do great tricks .Adding chorus can help but it’s in the détails - as it can also make the sound less compact ( keeping it mono can help ).
Iteresting to know is that for humans the first milliseconds of a sound will define for a great part how we perseeve them. A reason why fast ENV’s are so important. So it’s not just the main bass-wave that counts
Often I just use one Ossc + sub and add a second oscc at very low level but in very high ferq. to add harmonicks
and as BARFUNKEL mentioned - fool around wth feedback - settings ( here the volume of the oscilators plays a defining rome )
Enjoy :alien:
I’ve read somewhere it’s interesting to have a liitle pitch - env at the beginning of bass -sounds as this will enshure the bass will be audible
with different sound-systems. ( there’s often a freq. that won’t be audible - so by the pitch env your chanses get bigger ) at best very short.
I’ve tried it and it works.
Ciao… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

My trick:

Filt2 to steep hi-pass mode, reso halfway up.
Set filt2 keytrack to 32 (is 100% key tracking)

Play a note and adjust filt2 cutoff to achieve the desired boost freq on a note. This boostfreq will track the played pitch now.

If you use 2 oscs then turn on phase sync on page 2 of osc 2. This will get you consistent oomph on the attack of all notes.

Have fun!

1 Like

Hey you ve got any tips to get this style of sub bass /Movement with a4 ?