Analog four,analog four mk2,analog keys,all 3 cv pitch not in tune

a4 is my favorite synth,i have all 3 Iterations of it.
try to use the cv track control my new moog sirin,cv out1 for gate,cv out 2 for pitch,all great but one thing,the sirin never in tune with internal track,if use tune parameter of sirin to calibration with low register(c2 or c3),the high register(c6 above)will out of tune(lower)a little compare to internal track’s pitch,and if calibration with high register,then low register will higher a little, i do not think it is because sirin,since i ask one of my friend he also use mk2 and ak,he told me he has already give up to use cv of all a4,he thought a4 cv has tune problem…

your friend doesn’t understand the A4 then

there are threads on people struggling to get their Moog’s cv controlled - if you follow the a4’s manual for calibrating the control voltage to your moog you’ll get close enough to establish if it’s offering a good range of control - it’s a linear relationship - the A4 can be set to define a perfect linear relationship to fit any ‘curve’ so the A4 is absolutely not the problem here - the Moog may have a good range, but the issue is a user one in terms of using the A4’s ‘tools’ to establish the position and gradient of this curve to best fit the moog - it may just be that you need to compromise where you set the ‘sample’ points in terms of the keyboard positions used to set the gradient and so on

this is fairly simple maths if you want to set your own parameters, but first you should set a narrow 2 or 3 octave range right in teh synth sweetspot and see how much that varies at either end - iirc, many folk using another moog ended up using non 1v/octave gradients, they were a fraction out

the other possibility is that the A4 may need calibration itself, this can be done internally but you’d need a voltmeter and so on

5 Likes

very thanks for reply so quick!
first all i must announce i am not to vilify elektron and my most favorite synth,even that friend of mine refuse to use cv of his ak,still bought one mk2 and told me:this mk2 is the only synth he bought for out his studio,as his every day,every place tool of sound and music,maybe my pool english express things not well made my last post sounds a little harsh,if so i apologize for that.
tuning analog with cv must be the hard question out of knowledge of my friend and i,none of us know how,inside work of send and receive voltage to make a scale sound right,as you said,i thought it is ok to compromise to find a working range of tuned register,i am so glad some one let me know it is not a4 problem of tune,this made me love my machines even more,and i never thought about to refuse to use any one of function of them,that why i post some words to ask question,thank you,again!

1 Like

the steps to set it up are documented somewhere - it has the anticipation of such issues already built in, it caters for any linear relationship - the truth is that not all synths have such a broad range - the A4 can serve 10 octaves but not so many synths can play that range and certainly can’t keep a great tracking over the intended working range

there are threads on this and I’m sure even an Elektron video on the CV setup side, but it’ll be in the manual - the setup process will establish the offset and gradient of the line for any synth (assuming it’s linear) - so you need to know the useful working range of a synth, try setting it up with a two or three octave span and then maybe shift that range to better fit the device range - e.g. your first try with c2-c5 isn’t ideal, then try c1-c4

the bottom line is that even a poorly calibrated A4 should still produce a linear relationship, the routine Elektron made to work out the details takes care of everything

…i rarely heard about voltage controlled pitch that contains super tight accuracy over more than 3 octaves…4 at best…even in fanciest hi end only modular setups…

if u insist on it, it’s common ground, that u need dedicated add on modules to provide that…
or double daisy chain cv to midi and back…

while slightly micro off tuned differences in tonality are an essential part of overall modular magic… :wink:

fad sounds come alive only from slight detunes…no supersaw secret…
and no moog has sweet spots all over the place…

1 Like

I use my A4’s CV outs to sequence bass parts on my Moog Minitaur. It took a lot of work/experimenting/headaches to finally get it working properly. I honestly don’t remember exactly how I finally got it working, but it involved a manual, a tuner, and a lot of patience.

Shortly after getting it working I updated the OS on one of the two machines (I think it was the Minitaur) and I had to reconfigure the CV all over again. Major headache.

On that note, with the latest OS update, can the A4 CV track be used to send MIDI to external modules?

with cv out,you can use arp,that is the midi output of a4 could not function currently,the track midi of analog machine is so limited compare to ot mm md and even digi machine,so cook the cv out good is the must have ability of use analog machine😀

good point!thanks!
know the limits of gear,
Accept that the essence of things is imperfect.

1 Like

I need to tune my Slim Phatty almost daily because it drifts so badly between sessions. This is what I do:
-Warm up your Moog and set its fine tune to +/- 0,
-Pick a low reference pitch (like C2) on the A4 cv menu
-Play that note on your moog (via A4 cv) and tune it up with A4 voltage setting (can be below 0v)
-pick a high reference pitch (like C7) on A4 cv menu
-play that note on your moog (via a4 cv) and tune it up with the upper A4 voltage setting.
-repeat tuning the upper and lower pitches to dial in the tuning perfectly. It usually takes some back and forth.
-Make sure your reference pitches are correctly named. For instance tuning C3 instead of C2 by accident will cause scale problems. Note that not all tuners’ C2 is every tuner’s C2.

1 Like

thanks a lot!i will try this

Moogs are not always 1v, My A4mkii has the following settings for CV pitch to control my Sub Phatty…not exactly 1v per octave, but like this tracks really well over 6 octaves…

2 Likes

thank you!what a fool i am!cause my friend does not use moog and we all get in trouble with cv tuning,i thought it was a4