Analog and ms-20

Hey analog folks!

I have a analog (keys), and a old ms-20. I would like them to be friend. I would like to set a pattern on the Elektron analogs CV sequencer, and have the ms-20 respond to it. I would also like the LFO of the ms-20 to follow the Analogs clock.

Now. I have tried to make this work, but im just not that patient with Elektron gear. The synth is difficult to understand from before, and now, with the CV setup in addition, i feel quite lost.

So my question is, if anybody here have the same setup, could you point me in the right direction? How should i setup the the Analog, and what inputs on the ms-20 should they control?

I think i just need a kick in the right direction, so i can experiment and learn from there…

Oh that guy?! (Jokes)

Really does sound like you just need to dive into both manuals a little as explaining how to do this is one thing but without knowing why it’s working you will end up confused later anyway… My honest advice is to experiment and try to understand it first rather than rushing through, then ask the specific things you can’t work out later…

One thing I will say that’s maybe not obvious is you need stereo to split mono Y cables for the CVs…

Check out the online vids and also check through the A4/keys sub forums.

Have fun exploring.

Set to 1v/Hz to do regular note sequences. Korg analogs use this method of CV scaling, and there should be a setting to change in the A4 to do this. Then just program a sequence of notes, the ordinary way you would, but on the CV channel. I only used the A4 briefly, but I think this is pretty much it.

Set another channel of CV out of the A4 for Gate or Trigger setting, you may need to experiment to find the right about of voltage needed to trigger the MS-20’s trig inputs.
The MS-20 does not have a trigger input for the LFO, so this is not possible, BUT it doesn’t have a trig input for one of it’s envelope generators, so perhaps this will get you closer to what you want…

And yes… definitely read the section of the A4’s manual on the CV track, so you understand all the possibilities of what you can do with it to interact with your MS-20. The MS-20 has many inputs, so you can definitely have a lot of fun with that combo!

2 Likes

Im that guy yes… thanks for feedback guys… Ill explore based on this, and post my discoverings for others to read later on:) Cheers

One of the things I had the most trouble wrapping my head around w/ the MS-20 is what modulation effects what.

If you want to use the A4 to modulate the filters, for example, there’s two ways to do it. You can patch something into the “Total” jack (top right corner) and dialing in the modulation intensity using the three “MG/T.Ext” knobs. Or, if you want to control them individually then you patch into the individual patch points and use the “EG2/EXT” knobs.

If you want to control volume, patch into the Initial Gain jack… but honestly that thing’s real screwey and I’ve never figured that bit out too well.

This dude has a whole bunch of experimental noisy MS-20 stuff that you can probably bring an A4 to:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCq-Ezi8YguBOI1RKYUch28w

The MS-20 is a real, real weird beast. Fun as hell especially with other CV gear, but definitely weird.

3 Likes

Hey dumbledog… you seem like you have some skills with both the Elektron gear and the ms-20…
Im trying to control the ms-20, much like they guys above here explained (with trig in and vco 1+2 CV in on the ms-20), but i want the portamento to work as well. Do you know how to patch this?

[quote="“thatguy”"]

Hey dumbledog… you seem like you have some skills with both the Elektron gear and the ms-20…
Im trying to control the ms-20, much like they guys above here explained (with trig in and vco 1+2 CV in on the ms-20), but i want the portamento to work as well. Do you know how to patch this?[/quote]
Just a guess: Slide Trigs and Note Slide Time?

Im trying to control the ms-20, much like they guys above here explained (with trig in and vco 1+2 CV in on the ms-20), but i want the portamento to work as well. Do you know how to patch this?[/quote]
Just a guess: Slide Trigs and Note Slide Time?[/quote]
So by adding slide trigs in a cv pattern on the Elektron, it effects the ms-20?

I tried this a while ago (can’t be arsed to do so now) and it seemed to work just fine. Basically just set up your pattern on the CV track and do the slides like you would any other track.

1 Like

Here is my setup:

Details here: Who's using an A4 cv to Modular?

2 Likes

what kind of ms 20 is that? is there a reason for that stereo out?
greetings

It’s the (unfortunately) limited edition MS-20M module: http://www.korg.com/us/products/dj/ms_20mkit/

(Sorry, was meant to be in reply to @Synthpatic)

1 Like

The headphone out is stereo (2x mono), looks like he’s sending one signal out for recording and the other back into the MS20 to create distortion.

1 Like

jes stupid question i love putting it into the amp and getting the signal from there or putting it back to te filters again.

In 2020, I really wish Korg would do another run of the full size MS-20M’s.
But the full size keyboard version would be pretty cool as well.

1 Like

I feel like Oprah with the “Secret”!

I put in a pre-order for one of the full-size “Green” ones.

I got the FS reissue in 2021. Having played with it awhile, I think I’d prefer to have it in module form. The synth doesn’t do MIDI OUT, so whilst it’s great for playing about on[0] standalone, it helps to have another keyboard if you’re using it with other synths or something like the OT (which is what I do). The M version seems to have the stuff I sometimes miss from the FS (PWM, FM).

It sounds awesome regardless. And it’s hella fun to play.

I say “great” but what I mean is “functional” because the keyboard feels like damp sponge covered in fish fingers.

1 Like

yes! I agree with what you have said.
I did indeed get a green MS-20 and love a lot of aspects of it.
But the no midi out and the lack of PWM and FM that is present in the Module version is frustrating.

2 Likes

I’m still obsessed with my MS-20 FS 3-4 weeks after receiving it. I definitely understand those who would prefer the module version, but I love how it looks and functions with the keyboard.

PWM would be nice but I kind of like that any such modulation would be coming from my hands. I FM the hell out of it using feedback and noise so don’t feel lacking there.

The keyboard does output midi if you usb, but the lack of midi din out is a valid complaint since it limits its use with other gear.

I think part of my love for the MS-20 FS is due to my fallout with eurorack, where I had no limitations (all the FM and PWM I could want) but felt completely disconnected from it. MS-20 just sounds great and invites me to play it, which has resulted in more music than I have made in a long time.

2 Likes

So an accurate representation of the original then. I never liked using the keyboard very much, so I’m very glad I got an MS-20M when one turned up in the first months of the first lockdown. They really need to re-issue that before the 40th anniversary of the module version though.

1 Like