Analog 4 with external keyboard

Hey all! New member here. I’ve had an analog 4 for a little while now and I love it… But I hate programming sequences from the buttons. I thought I would be able to hook up a midi keyboard (Arturia keystep) and program notes into the sequencer with that, but it doesn’t work. I have the analog 4 set to receive midi and they are on the same midi channel.

Does anyone else have this issue?
Thanks
A.J.

You have to use the auto channel to record external notes. Check this.

2 Likes

I believe you have to put the keyboard on 9 auto-channel(or go into midi settings and make sure the midi channel sent out matches the A4 auto-channel).

Edit: LyingDalai beat me to it

1 Like

No, that should work.
I’m guessing you’re overlooking some small detail, or your cable is bad.

Ah yes, the auto channel

Thanks! I’ll give this a whirl Thursday when I’m back in the studio and see how this works out

2 Likes

Hi, i purchased the A4 for it size, I found the buttons a bit limiting so i purchased a Keith McMillien QuNexus keyboard controller with the midi expander, love it so much more easy to play and more expression with the sounds from the A4.

1 Like

Got it working! Thanks for the guidance everyone

1 Like

Related noob question:
This would work with my Clavia G2 Modular too, right?

Can I control the A4 with the nanokey studio and use the touch pad to control the joystick controls?

Yes. It should work with any MIDI keyboard.

You would need a USB host device to connect the nKS to the Analog Four.

According to the manual of the nKS, the touchpad can generate either MIDI Note messages, two MIDI Control Change messages, or Pitch bend and ModWheel messages, depending on its mode.

You can set up your AF to respond to these messages in the SOUND SETTINGS menu, and you can have the nKS’s controls use the CC message numbers listed in Appendix D of the manual to control the AF’s individual parameters or performance macros.

1 Like

Very cool! Thanks Peter!

1 Like