Analog 4 mk1 kits not saving, changing when switching pattern

Hello,
I’m sure this is probably a really simple fix. When I switch patterns, and then switch back the first pattern kit is totally different. What is happening? I’d like the kits to stay the same as when I left the pattern. Happens even when I switch to a pattern in the same bank

David

Are both patterns using the same kit? Because then any changes to the kit will be shared by both patterns.

1 Like

…saving kits…is not saving patterns…and vice versa…two separate things…

I’ve learned that within a project every pattern includes only a “pointer” to a single kit.
=> Different patterns can point to different kits or the same kit…

If I switch to a new pattern there will be no autosave of the last unsaved changes of the kit associated with the old pattern.
So saving a kit prior to changing the pattern can be vital.

This is a simple question, but how do you get a pattern to always have a certain kit? This is usually the case for me that when you load a kit it sticks on the pattern I loaded it to, but then I notice sometimes I load a kit on A2 and switch patterns and come back to A2 it has a different kit/whichever one was last selected, and I don’t know how to recreate this behaviour.

Could you tell me when a kit will NOT stay with whatever pattern you’re on? What do you have to do to ensure that a kit WILL be linked to its pattern?

(It’s usually when my patterns are empty as as I send it external MIDI but I need to change kits while I do this to change sounds)

When you’re on a pattern, save a kit. It automatically associates.

2 Likes

Ah, so loading a kit does not associate it at all, I have to load it and then also save it? And patterns being completely empty makes no difference to this, right?

This doesn’t seem to work until you press play, I’ve been pulling my hair out wondering why saving a kit wasn’t linking it to a pattern lol

When I [LOAD KIT] for a previously saved, named Kit, on an empty Pattern, that Kit gets associated with the Pattern, as far as I can see in the UI (I wasn’t listening or playing for this test). If I then navigate to a new empty Pattern, the temporary association to the previous Kit gets made (the Kit’s slot id flashes in the top left of the screen). If I then navigate back to the (empty) Pattern where I loaded my Kit, the association is still there. The act of associating the Kit to the Pattern makes it change from unlit to lit in Red on the Trig when I hold the relevant [Bank] button.

This even works when loading a previously unused, default-named, “empty” kit slot into a previously unused, empty Pattern. (As far as I can tell, the “empty” Kits are just the default Kit with a name like “Kit 94”)

I’m using a mkII. It would be strange if the mkI was different in this regard.

What exactly are you trying to do, in as much detail as possible?

The annoying thing is that it starts working again as you’ve described and I don’t know how to reproduce the behaviour I sometimes get, which is:
I have kit 1 and kit 2 saved, I go to pattern A1 and load kit 1, I go to pattern A2 and load kit 2, then when I go back to pattern A1 it has kit 2! (I think it had flashing “k001” IDs or so too, not sure)

The next time it happens I will video it and share it here, I’m sure I’m doing something wrong. I’m on a A4mk2 btw!

These devices have one scratch buffer iirc, so if you have temporary stuff and go to another temporary thing it will look to the last saved state

This is why people would place an event in the sequencer, it probably elevates the save-it status or save manually. With a linked kit and no seq data expect the pattern kit association to be temporary subject to change. You need seq data to begin to nail the kit to the pattern… a benign TRC will do the job, e.g. like 100% on a trigless trig, it won’t hinder you at all

1 Like

You have some special issue because of empty pattern and special usage probably or something else as mentioned by @avantronica.
But apart from that, you saw the checkbox reload kit on change in sequencer config i think? ( i have mk1)
Unfortunately (for me) reload pattern on change does not exist. Plocks are stored with pattern, i would also like to be able to come back to a pattern without much thinking ( or disable autosave) since many years…,
P s : reload project is possible.

1 Like

That is no longer the case, it has been changed in 1.23, see the changelog (contained in each OS download):

List of changes from OS 1.22 to 1.23

Changes

[…]
Added possibility to maintain kit association also for empty patterns. The association will become persistent once a kit has been loaded or saved, or if the pattern is edited. To remove the association, the pattern must be cleared.

Loading is enough, see the current manual:

9.2.2 LOAD KIT
Opens a menu where you can load one of the up to 128 saved kits. The kit list will appear when you open this menu. Inverted graphics indicates the active kit. Use the [ARROW] keys or the LEVEL knob to select the kit you wish to load. [LEFT]/[RIGHT] will quickly scroll between the menu pages. Select a kit, and then press [YES/SAVE] to load it. The loaded kit is linked to the active pattern.

And at least on my A4 MK1 (1.51c) it reliably works like this, I tested it with a couple of patterns :

• When I clear the pattern, the reference to the kit is removed. I can check this by selecting the bank, and the LED for that pattern is no longer dimly lit, indicating it is now empty.
  • When I load a kit to that empty pattern (FN+KIT -> Load Kit), that kit is associated with the pattern. When I change to another pattern, I can now see a dimly lit dot for the previous pattern, indicating that it contains something - in this case no locks or trigs, but a kit.

So as long as you don’t clear the pattern, the kit remains linked.

2 Likes

I have a somewhat similar situation here its not the same but I think it is related to the topic of the post, I use a digitakt that sends clock and transport to the A4 mk1, the A4 in Direct start or Direct jump, when I use stop, single or dual press on the digitakt and pattern change in the A4 keeps the kit of the last pattern, and does not change until you press play again, so in that lapse if I change patterns to save with their kits, they will all remain with the kit the last pattern, I realized this making a set late at night and it was horrible, now if I want to save kits and patterns in this situation I go directly to A4 and double stop from A4, and now when changing patterns the kit changes. I now Its not related but I share in case it could help someone else, :vulcan_salute:.

1 Like

It’s not always enough apparently, that weird behaviour I had mentioned finally happened again where loading was not enough to link a kit with a pattern!

You can see A1 loaded with a kit called “intro”, then I select A2 and load “kit drop”, when I go back to A1 it has “kit drop” loaded instead of the one I loaded! WTH!

I fixed it by saving and reloading the project, after I then saved the “intro” kit and it stuck; I am not sure which of these actions fixed it but just loading a kit was not enough to link it beforehand, and I wish I knew why.

(Analog Four MKII, OS 1.51C)

1 Like

Question: Do you have any steps/trigs placed in the patterns?

No I didn’t have any steps/trigs at all, as I was running MIDI from Ableton. AFAIK in previous firmwares it was necessary to have trigs to link kits to patterns but apparently…

And in case it was missed, I fixed it to work again but I’d like to know how I got to that point so I can avoid it in future.