Analog 4 for Kicks and Bass Toms

The Analog Rytm Mk 2 (ARM2) now has Dual VCO as a machine (available on the bottom 4 tracks/pads) but I’m guessing these Dual VCOs don’t really compare to the synth features of the Analog 4 Mk 2 (A42).

While trying the ARM2 I love the kicks and I love the Bass Tom but everything else I reckon I’d be ok to just use samples (which I’d get from my Digitakt).

My question then is, how is the A42 for generating Kick and Bass Tom sounds and how do they compare to Kick and Bass Tom sounds on the ARM2 (not including when you layer samples with synths on the ARM2)?

Has anyone done any comparisons? I’ve seen some YouTube videos (including the Druma sound pack) but I find it hard to tell.

2 Likes

The A4 does great drums, but the AR kick sounds fatter imo and easier to tweak because its made specificly for a kick drum, but you probably could get close

1 Like

Some ppl prefer A4 for Drums…

1 Like

A4 for drums all days in the week and twice on Sundays.

If you get the A4 just for drums, you’d still have a killer instrument. Especially the MKI, which goes for silly prices these days.

7 Likes

And okay, to answer the question - from my own personal experience, getting the Rytm for just the kicks and toms would be a bad move. It’s a great drum machine and the synth engine has a lot of character, which is probably which it’s so divisive.

What I like about the A4 is that it does classic, traditional analog drum as well as out there stuff. You can be Daft Punk and Aphex Twin and anything in between.

However, the Rytm has a specific touch to its sound which is hard to replicate. If you fall in love with the sound of the Rytm, you won’t find it elsewhere and certainly not within the A4, which I believe speaks to the strength of both instruments.

2 Likes

I’m currently ending up using the AR for synth duties (bass mostly) and the AK for drums - super crisp basses and fantastic, snappy drums and percussion :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I personally love the sound of the AR Kick and how you can tune it exactly how you want
and you cant really screw it up because its designed for kicks.
but i definetly can see why some people would prefer the A4 for drums

1 Like

Kicks on A4

2 Likes

The Dual VCO synth on AR can, ironically, produce timbres the A4 can’t :slight_smile: as limited as it is, it really has its own vibe as well. Given the few features it has, it can really go to strange and nasty places.

I do

1 Like

indeed, I have the same experience. AR is super good for basses. Easier to get them right than on the A4 for me

1 Like

I prefer AR kicks. A4 lacks sin waveforms.

2 Likes

which ar kick is your favorite?

A4 mk2 has some very nice Bass presets…very juicy driving sounding.

2 Likes

Kick Hard I think.

2 Likes

The self oscillation of the ladder filter with high resonance should give you a sine.

3 Likes

Thanks to remind it, not exactly the same, noisier, less snappy. Problematic if you use other sounds before on the same track, the resonnance doesn’t rise quickly.

2 Likes

or slightly filtered triangle

3 Likes

Yep, with keytrack.

can’t say as I’ve tried the RYTM yet, however I bought an A4mk2 recently and hadnt even considered it for drum duties until I read so many people recommending it for just that on here; have to say it’s really impressive - if anything I use it more for drums than anything else at the minute.