An overwhelming amount of synthesizers and the development of Anti-GAS

This thread has been very refreshing!

Everybody works differently but I like to research my gear thoroughly and then explore it and get to know it really well before I could consider if it wasn’t a good fit. I think I’ve only flipped 1 piece of gear.
When I get GAS for something, I have a long think about what I have and how I am using it and usually find that my workflow has gotten stale and I need to change it up, as I’ve been neglecting features. Sometimes there is a genuine need for something but not always.
The gear hits and misses thread makes me feel dizzy at how many things people buy and sell in a year….whatever keeps you having fun and making music…this would have the opposite effect on me though!

2 Likes

For me I totally disagree because my computer isn’t my “music workstation”. It’s a million other things, and with those other things comes distractions, updates, troubleshooting, and a host of other issues. It’s the same reason you should have a dedicated work space and shouldn’t just work in bed all the time or something.

For me, I enjoy doing some things on the computer where it makes sense, like recording, editing, and mixing audio, or for doing very complex stuff in Pure Data or something like that. Otherwise, I just don’t like what I do on a computer. It doesn’t feel like me and it feels like too many degrees of separation from what I want to do.

I also don’t need dozens of synths, especially if I can’t do anything with them instantly without having to program a controller to do it. I’d rather have a few pieces that do a lot of things that I can work with instantly. I’ve also scaled down from like 5 keyboards, an MPC, and 4 rack synths down to about 3 or 4 pieces total and feel much better for it.

On the flip side, I don’t understand people with whole rooms full of gear either. It takes me a while to really understand one good piece of gear, never mind dozens or even hundreds of pieces, but I’m also not a professional and this isn’t what I do for hours on end each and every day. If it were I might be more inclined to have more.

Anyway, this is the same old argument for/against computers vs hardware. There is no right way of doing it. There are literally people who make interesting music with garbage, or full orchestras, and everything (and I mean everything) in between.

The fetishization of what you’re working, whether it’s hardware or software, doesn’t really help the whole “making music” thing, if all you’re doing is thinking about the tool you’re using instead of using it.

2 Likes

Those are the fault of the user and not the computer. Pragmatically speaking the most efficient- workflow and resource - is the computer.

If you need a new instrument, you can build one in M4L/Pure Data or download it from the community forum- instead of purchasing new hardware. Just as a small example

1 Like

“Well, you know, that’s just, like, your opinion, man.” – a wiser man then I.

6 Likes

Haha aye if you own a macbook…

Nah, I have a laptop running Windows

I, like many, spend 8 hours a day in front of a computer screen for work. Unfortunately, after two years of using almost nothing but Ableton and some midi controllers, I can’t get away from the screen because I prefer it so much more over my previous hardware-based workflow. It wouldn’t be this way had I not spent the seven years I did learning synthesis, sound design, production, etc. with the hardware I used. Now I know what to do, so can get things done quickly in the DAW so it doesn’t feel like I’m just clicking around on a computer.

I occasionally have the thought it might be nice to ditch the computer for a batch of music, and will setup a small rig (I have kept most all of my gear despite not using it much in the last two years), but after an evening or two I will tear down the setup and hook up the midi controllers to my laptop again.

I definitely support anyone who wants to use hardware for music, and have friends who have moved from a computer-based setup to hardware in recent years (which, there really is no better time with all the amazing gear out now). They’re stoked on a Monologue and Volca Sample while my five elektrons and ten or so synths are kept in a closet. I’m happy for them, and hope at some point they will buy some of my synths :wink:

I second the notion regarding keeping things put away for a while, even years, and trying again later… at least if you’re unsure of something and don’t need the money and/or space it takes up. I’m open to change and letting go of things, but I also like to think of the future and what I might want to still have then.

After using the Machinedrum and Monomachine for many years it was easy to tire of their sounds and workflow when I got other gear and later into software, so I put them away for a while, and now when I use them I’m thrilled by the unique vibe they bring. I will sell all of my analog synths and other gear with no attachment, but the MDUW and MNM are special to me and I know I will appreciate having them ten years from now, even if I hardly use them. I do have the luxury of a decent paying job though, so I don’t feel any pressure to sell them, especially since these days I’m not buying expensive new gear.

I recently went through a little GAS fever with all the NAMM announcements, but in the end the only thing I’m really interested in, that would bring value to my workflow, is upgrading my Launchpad Pro to the new mk3 model. I’m happy that will cost me many times less than some of the other things I was looking at. I thought perhaps a new synth would bring me a little inspiration to sit down and make music, but instead I hooked up my Monomachine and I’ve been the most excited I’ve been in a long time.

At this point I feel I have more than everything I need to make music for the rest of my life, so I don’t need anything new except ideas and improved skills. Life is good, but I’m also happy for those who actively seek out new gear to make music with, because I sure enjoyed that for a number of years :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Well it has been 10 years since my last windows laptop. My desktop was more stable but I still had lots of issues. It was such a brutal experience I would never go back. To be fair…neither were exclusively designed for music.
I just open the mac use it close it…very very very rarely have any issues.

1 Like

Yep. I have found myself dealing with some kind of bias when I listen to my favorite singers (Steven Merrit, Thom Yorke, Ariel Pink, Jeff Buckley, Bjork, Fiona Apple, etc). They all have weird things happening that are not perfect, but my brain overlooks the imperfections, because I am focused on the good parts. When I listen to my own voice, my brain focuses on the bad parts.

I have detected a similar bias with composers and producers.

And yeah, people have such anxiety about owning gear; I used to. It is good to be compassionate and conscientious, but guilt is no good. It is important to let go of that anxiety and guilt and just enjoy life.

1 Like

I think people conflate GAS with a learning process. In this modern age, it takes a long time to find what you like and learn concepts.

I have blown through tons of gear, but each piece changes my brain in some way, which adds to my musical vocabulary. I think back at all the things that have come and gone over the years, and I ask myself “would I have been better off just using Maschine in 2009?” The answer is a resounding no.

Sure, I can just buy Maschine and crank out a bunch of songs. But, having REALLY learned about drum machines, synthesis, and samplers - a lot of which was only possible from actually owning and spending a ton of time with those things - my musical vocabulary is rich, and when I use something like Maschine, my decisions are focused and mature.

Like Miles Davis said, “man, sometimes it takes a long time to sound like yourself.”

I say buy everything. Go nuts. Drown yourself in gear. Eventually, you will figure out who you are and want to be. Maybe you want to be a gear collector? If so, enjoy.

16 Likes

Even John Lennon hated his own voice and always wanted to have it effected with delay etc

1 Like

I agree a lot.
most purchases were out of curiosity.For example even though I don‘t feel the need to use eurorack again, it changed the way I work with synths in general. Or even how I create stuff in ableton

1 Like

My new motto in 2020: commit to purchases and not sell to fund gas.

4 Likes

I recently read that Rob Halford wasn’t okay with his voice until the most recent record…

2 Likes

Oh I don’t doubt that. But as I’m starting out learning that’s about all I can make.

2 Likes

i very much feel the thesis of this thread. in fact it’s a component of why i sold a bunch of stuff and went into ciat-lonbarde land

1 Like

ah I see. Sorry I misinterpreted your comment

I think this is extremely sound advice on all points! Very nicely said.

Bestest advice there. My spiral down GAS started with pre ordering two bug ridden synths a few years ago. I quickly sold my best two synths (Polysix and model D) and when the new ones arrived effectively DOA, I spent a year buying everything that vaguely sounded like a Polysix or D.
Never ever preorder.

5 Likes

What two synths out of curiosity?