An album I've been working on for years is finally done and out! (Maymind's June)

**Hi all, I’ve been hesitating to share this album with this community even though this forum is the one place where I am actually active. It’s been a source of inspiration knowledge sharing and encouragement and I’ve been glad to be a part of it.

Inspired by people like @ylva, @circuitghost and @echo_opera, I’m super excited to share an album with you all that is called ‘June’. It’s something that I’ve pieced together over the past six or seven years that really shows my tastes as a musician and a producer. Some of these tracks were started all the way back in Brooklyn in 2015, while others were recorded in 2020 during a solitary trip I took to Joshua tree after losing a beloved pet. Though there are only 10 tracks on this album I probably recorded 600-700 ideas that I pulled from. Some of these tracks were reworked dozens of times.

I recorded and mixed this entire thing myself and it was mastered by the great Dietrich Schoeneman at Complete Mastering, who did a separate mastering version for the vinyl which really sounds incredible. I’ve pressed up a limited number of copies myself that are available for sale on my Bandcamp page now.

The response to this album has been really encouraging so far. Many different kinds of people connecting with it. I hope some of you will too.

In terms of what the music sounds like, stylistically I’d say it’s influenced by UK rave culture, intricate electronic Synthwave, the LA beat scene and modern jazz. If that sounds like a diverse range of influences it probably is!

There is one track on the album with a bit of vocals called ‘Find You’ which is the lead single. I shared that a few weeks ago but the music video is copied again below for those who want to check it out.

In terms of gear, there was all kinds of things used but some of the main items were a Digitakt and Digitone, a Nord Lead, Roland SE02, Akai MPC 1000, and Roland SHO1A Thank you all for checking this out and I’d love to hear any feedback from my fellow 'nauts. Any questions welcome as well!

21 Likes

Fantastic work, my friend. I’m not sure what I did to deserve this mention, seeing as your work is substantially more accomplished than mine. Nevertheless, I am thoroughly enjoying this album and can only imagine it’ll make for a great show as well. The funkier parts are my favourites so far, the groove is just so cool, and the whole thing has a intense, beating vibe to it that just keeps my feet moving. Love it. Will listen to it a few rounds and return with some more elaborate thoughts. Congratularions to a great release, my friend :clap::raised_hands:

1 Like

Just watched that rather haunting vid up there so far - Really nice track, man! Looking forward to checking out the rest of the album

1 Like

beautiful music :black_heart:

1 Like

@circuitghost, wow thank you so much for those kind words, truly! I mentioned you because I love how you write about and discuss your own process and I was a big fan of your “That Which Remained” EP. If I remember correctly, you are a writer by trade, as am I, so there’s a definite mutual appreciation happening :slight_smile: thank you again for listening and for taking the time to share those thoughts!

@ylva ty so much, your work has been amazing to see develop and I can’t wait to see where it goes!

@kairos thank you! That video was a pretty fun, wild experience to say the least. We filmed it in 110 degree heat in the LA summer, haha. Facepaint was dripping off of me!

Cheers all, so glad this music is resonating and connecting with some of you out there!
:smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

This sounds great. Really enjoying the vibe and production and general head and body shaking nature of it all.

Really great work! Thank you for the little shout out on the thread…makes it all worth it. Keep up the great work!

This will be nice addition to this weeks rotation of music. :facepunch:t4: :tm:

1 Like

Great work.

1 Like

Nice work!

1 Like

thanks all!

Curious to hear if this reminded any of you of any other artists? I always blank on drawing comparisons, maybe because my stuff is a bit all over the map.

To any folks who enjoyed June, my next album is officially announced today!

It’s called Life Inside a Bell and this one is a collaboration with saxophonist Jon Natchez from The War on Drugs. The first track is an 11 minute burner and is streaming on my Bandcamp page now.

Recorded, produced, mixed and mastered by me in my home studio in LA. Cover art also by me.

Special thank you to our very own @circuitghost for helping with the bio on the Bandcamp page!

Thanks to everyone taking the time to listen; if anyone is curious about gear or process, feel free to ask any questions.

Cheers all!

1 Like

I am humbled and honored to have been able to help. The music’s great and I highly recommend anyone to get it when it’s out, it’s a mesmerising experience. Words come easy when music’s this good as @maymind_trax

1 Like

i really enjoyed it :blue_heart:

1 Like

you are too kind!

1 Like

So glad to hear this! that track features Digitakt doing the main sample tweaking, in case you are curious.

thanks to all who checked it out! <3

1 Like