(Ambient, BoC) Live Looping - Analog Keys through Octatrack

Pickup Machines record into their respective track recorder, so T1-4 in this case.

Remember that Flex Machines (T5-8) can play any track recorder. In this example, the Flex Machines on Tracks 5-8 are set up to play Track Recorders 1-4.

So, the Pickup Machines are sampling as normal, but we also have a set of 4 different tracks playing the same source, but with different settings (Rate, Effects and so on).

Hope that’s clearer, let me know if not

Thanks for the listen!

1 Like

Yeah, that’s a bit clearer!

The thing I’m still curious about is that you’re playing it all into the OT with the AK, right?

So, one voice (or patch/preset) at a time? …times 4 pickup machines…?

As I listen back, I hear one layer right away; then a second layer comes in, and I can’t tell if it’s just the first layer being played back and altered via the flex machine or if it’s a second pickup machine with a new loop.

Whew! This track, being the 2 minutes that it is, has me twisted!

I’m imagining that at about 0:12-0:20 is when the flex is playing back the first pickup machine. And then the bass comes in around 0:40 on the second pickup machine? A new voice (the high pitch) possibly comes in on its own pickup around 0:53. and then the flexes are just doing their flex thing to the pickups?

oh man. so good

1 Like

That sounds about right. Basically, the pad first, on Pickup Machine 1.

However, there’s overdubbing of that. What I did here was the record the 4 chord sequence first, and with that playing, add some overdubs but only on the tail of some other notes. So, play the pad, but hit overdub (AB button) as the tail fades. You get some nice textures in this way.

The Pickup Machine 2 is the bass, so that was added next. The timestretching makes it sound really wobbly, which I like.

Then, yeah, that high pitched lead thing is on the 3rd Pickup Machine.

The changes you hear are also the sweeping of the crossfader. So XVOL is mapped, which blends between the actual Pickup Machine loops, and the “altered” (i.e. pitched down) Flex Machines on the right.

Just bringing in a small amount of that changes the feel, and sliding all the way to the right, you can hear the slower, pitched down Pickup Machines.

6 Likes

Man this is great! Thanks for posting and explaining :slight_smile: inspiring stuff!

2 Likes

Mind blown!

thank you for taking the time to explain that.

Today is going to be an overdubbed pickup machine kind of day.

2 Likes

Let’s do it

I absolutely love this. I’m a huge BoC fan. I have a Digitakt and I’m considering picking up an Analog 4. My question is how integral is the Octatrack to getting those washed out sounds? Do you think I could achieve something similar with just the A4 (and Digitakt)?

1 Like

Absolutely. The OT is adding some flavour, but then so is the Analog Heat. I’d say you get most of the way there with the AK/4 though as that’s the core of the sound.

The happy accident part provided by the OT is similarly recreatable on the DT, just a different workflow. The OT is superior in terms of realtime dynamic sampling, but that’s more performance based (also more immediate in this context)

2 Likes

Thanks so much for replying (and for the inspiration)!!! This sealed the deal for me. I definitely see an A4 next to my Digitakt in the future.

2 Likes

Thanks for listening :pray:t2:Enjoy the journey. These machines are magical.

1 Like

Sorry, one more question. I noticed that you have the DT and OT. Do you find that they are different enough to justify both? I love my DT and am getting more and more interested in the OT. But first the A4, of course. Lol.

I came from the other side, OT, AK then DT. I use the DT for beats, which frees up some tracks on the OT. Though each machine is powerful in itself of course, and can’t really be limited to a single function.

They are very different beasts, though related. But you get different results with each one I find. Both amazing.

1 Like

Food for thought. Thanks.

The OT will definitely be on my wishlist. One machine at a time though. I figure the DT is still being developed, so I’ll wait and see what happens with it over the next 6-8 months (hopefully while I learn the A4). I find that the DT can do so much more than the specs would suggest. It will be fun pushing its limits, and seeing how it combines with the A4.

1 Like

Get the a4 first. digitakt and a4 are a extremely powerful combo. Great sampler, great synth

1 Like

Sounds like a great match. Love my DT and the A4 ticks all the right boxes for what I want in a synth.

Hi there. I am trying to understand how to set this up. Can someone explain what this means, and how to implement it (in fairly basic and detailed terms). Thanks!:

"T1-4 are Pickup Machines. QREC and QPL are OFF. LEN is also Off, so you end up with loops that overlap as opposed to everything being quantized. I also set TRIG to ONE2 mode.

“Crossfader scene is set to blend between the Pickups and Flex machines XVOL.”

Hi, I have figured this out, all good now.

1 Like

Cool. Ping me any questions ( if I can remember:)