Am I the only one? [Machinedrum love]

I love that the Machinedrum has a built-in EQ on every track. I use it to reduce excessive mid frequencies or sometimes boost these to e.g. add resonance to a snare. Makes it possible to sculpt production ready drums that really fit into a mix. I’d wish my Digitone had a parametric EQ like this.

10 Likes

I love that it has a modulatable master eq :kissing_heart:

2 Likes

I love the CTRL-AL on this machine, and the sound of the filter, especially on short retrigs.
:heart: :elmd:

9 Likes

I actually prefer the slightly dirty digital filters on the older models than the super clean ones in the digi’s and syntakt.

6 Likes

Hey, i saw a vid with the same avatar than yours is that you ?

I like a lot the big rotative selector :star_struck:

3 Likes

Yeah that happened, I don’t really even remember it! One of those made in two hour ones where the patterns just grab you and you work out some fun modulations and hit record.
I hope whoever clicks that likes distorted bass and 12bit tramens, otherwise there’ll be bitterly disappointed.

Just a few more informations in OT manual, compressor is probably similar.

Concerning the Threshold, you can set it by ear, after setting RATIO to max, Attack to min, you can hear the level decreasing under the Threshold.

Played this live set last Friday. I posted it in the SP-404 thread but figured I’d focus on the machinedrum’s role in this thread.

Machinedrum is still the heart of my live set in 2023! It’s running drums and some synth sounds with the x.09 firmware, as well as triggering samples on the SP-404, sequencing the behringer pro-1, and controlling the visuals running in VDMX on a laptop. The set is a 60-line “song” in song mode, so all the transitions are prepared beforehand but I have the flexibility to run loops longer or shorter as I see fit, add live mutes where needed, etc.

Machinedrum and SP-404 are a really fun match as well… in the jungle tune around 20 minutes in, I have a machinedrum LFO randomly deciding what SP-404 effect to apply to the master. SP-404 extends the sample playback time and quality, and adds master FX with realtime control.

5:00-10:00 is purely machinedrum music, the rest of the set it’s mixed with other gear in the setup.

18 Likes

I would have loved to have been there! I caught only a little bit of the set in Instagram, so I’m very happy you managed to capture the whole thing. Hope you’ll be playing more soon. There’s still nothing like a Machinedrum.

2 Likes

Thanks Peter!! I’ll let you know next time I have a gig. Also I plan on starting an Electronic Open Mic next year if you want to bring out the monomachine :smiley:

1 Like

ah, the old accidental Classic mode… :crazy_face:

I’m surprised the rogue firmware never created a software switch to lock that out for performances.

2 Likes

I’m listening now, this is very cool. the whole set is really solid. The little plucks around 15:00 are fun, and I loved the transition to the next section at 16:00 into the faster jungle-ish stuff, and then that bass guitar playing on top of the glitchy beat is magical. I love seeing acoustic instruments mixed with electronics, I’m an absolute sucker for this kind of fast paced breakbeat stuff with bass on top. Outro was solid too, incredible set.

2 Likes

I was freaking out SO MUCH in that moment lol, I’ve had the bro-1 sometimes suddenly get out of tune and thought it was the issue until the song reached the next transition and I heard all the machinedrum triggers were acting weird too… from there it wasn’t too hard to solve it. Just glad I didn’t stop the whole thing. A “classic mode lockout” would be sweet, or like… you have to hold the button for 4 seconds or something like that.

3 Likes

I just had my md sent out to Elektron USA For a year for a similar issue. They tried just about everything and couldn’t get it to change. Sent it back to me still doing the phantom freeze once in a while. I was also starting to wonder about power supplies as that’s the only thing I can think of that we haven’t been able to replace?

thanks so much!! I really wanted to bring the bass on stage. The EHX bass compressor pedal was all I needed to take the raw bass signal and turn it into a solid sound when amplified. Was nice to keep the size down to something manageable. Channelling my inner 1990s budget squarepusher :smiley:

5 Likes

awesome, massive, thanks for posting. MD is talking out loud at some point.

Could you please provide an overview of how the SP-404 integrates with the md and some next level tips or whatever is top of mind, with sequencing from the md. Does it help keep within the md flow? I’ve only ever used an SP-404 in store and always thought it could be a cool md partner

1 Like

Hey! Thanks for listening :smiley: You’re in luck cuz I posted it in detail in the SP-404mk2 thread :slight_smile:

So between the SP and the machinedrum, the machinedrum is triggering loops and 1-shot samples on the SP, as well all the machinedrum audio goes through the SP so the SP can effect it with dj-style “mix” effects and run everything through the SP-404’s compressor effect for the end of the chain.

They work really well together in my opinion… the SP lets me easily bring loops in from the rest of my gear, the machinedrum lets me morph sounds in realtime and come up with ideas without having to record it as samples and loops first… I really enjoy the combination.

3 Likes

Thanks mate, great information and overview in the other thread.

1 Like

Except…

The compressor’s Attack and Decay parameters have been switched around on the Machinedrum!
I have tested this myself and found it to be correct. Also the mix knob is fully wet at the usual “0” position as you can see in Veets’ diagram from the ElektronNextLevel2011 document:

“DYNAMIX SETTINGS Once And For All”

5 Likes

Just different placement or wrong names ?

Yes, disturbing at first, but inverted compared to OT MIX parameter.

Unfortunately they didn’t keep the HP setting, could have been in Setup menu…

1 Like