Am I the only one? [Machinedrum love]

MD for life. had mine for 10 years and I still find new weird stuff to do with it.
plugging the outs to the ins is my new favourite thing.

3 Likes

smelting parameters

4 Likes

Out for delivery ā€¦ Iā€™m going to spend the evening banging out wild patterns ā€¦

1 Like

My GOD what a weird damn box, I love it

Having the no UW and only 2 bars is helping me focus. iā€™m only using the first bar and above that plan on sequence externally or chain patterns and treat em like building blocks

Went from 5 years ago being daunted, to feeling lost/restricted and that good things came by accident or after blacking out, to now, i consider it deceptively simple and VERY tailored to creating these peculiar electrified fluorescent drums. Most of the machines are pretty ugly. I know that sounds like a knock but the reason I got my first one was I loved the ugly sounds in music by The Knife so itā€™s been a weird journey to actually embracing the ugly for myself. Some of the EFM machines have insane range and it reminds me of Model:Cycles. Others are more utilitarian so donā€™t expect too much of them. Some are barely changeable but still add to the variety and you never know when they might serve a purpose

Some of the E12 machines can be little wavetable synths

This drum machine is not for beginners. Funny story, it was my first outboard synth!

3 Likes

9 Likes

glad youā€™re back and enthused (that last pattern needed to be about 180bpm tho :wink: ). was the click thing you posted just signal too hot internally?

Still happening. Itā€™s just only noticeable on solo sounds. Definitely not cuz theyā€™re too hot, it happens on the default GND-SN and like, on predictable parts of the tail.

sorry to hear, no real ideas and wouldnā€™t like to start screaming ā€œdsp errorā€ without knowing more. i guess a visual inspection of the boards show no clues. and test mode doesnā€™t suggest anything. have you tried reflashing the fw just to see what happens?

1 Like

Have you got the Dynamix Compressor set to a high gain? That can cause clipping.

Speaking of the GND machines, Iā€™ve been enjoying the GND-PW tonight. Such a gnarly sound, especially with an LFO gently modulating the Pulse parameter and with a smidge of Unison.

1 Like

I just did an empty reset , so the compressor isnā€™t engaged.

Not having the UW would be a bonus IMO.
It forces you to use and learn the machines.
And once we do that, it opens up the capability of the MD.
I remember using the MD with samples to begin with, and soon putting it down in favour of eurorack. But after coming back to the MD, I started a new project from scratch purposely using no samples. I fell in love with it all over again.
Now it sits next to the modular in the live rig. With the Octatrack of course.

Donā€™t forget to use the performance machines. I love them. Takes it to another level.

2 Likes

Itā€™d be silly if they never take the source code and release new hardware based on the machines and LFO design. They could leave out a lot of the other stuff and Iā€™d get it just to have modern Elektron workflow, itā€™d be an easy cash grab imo.

2 Likes

The source code might be very very specifically designed for the old chips that the MNM and MD used. I suspect that it is harder to pull that stuff forward than it seems or else they would have done it. I guess they always have to balance the difficulty of extracting old code from an old architecture vs making new code in an architecture that they are very familiar with.

2 Likes

Trueā€¦ but they must have the algorithm specs on paper somewhere. Thereā€™s still a lot that can just be recycled, plus they can just graft on the Digitakt OS, maybe even use the same case like they did with Syntakt! (Though Iā€™d be over the moon if they used the Cycles OS / form factor)

thereā€™s probably a clause with the old engineers that prohibits new elektron to rerelease old elektron machines or else face a lawsuit or something. they must be taking their designs to the grave and i salute them

but at any rate, the UW machines rule. there isnā€™t that much extra to learn over a nonUW. iā€™d say getting the fully realized Machinedrum is peak synthesis. i recently loaded a bunch of Vengeance samples and i gotta say itā€™s such a complete machine. the sampling engine sounds amazing. along with the x.09 OS, itā€™s truly one of the best instruments ever made. some people might need a machine with limitations but i certainly donā€™t

2 Likes

Been over most machines multiple times including recently Mpc live1/2,one,X,Maschine+ and I just like older hardware.The elktrons being the smallest ā€˜realā€™ hardware that Iā€™ve owned including OT,MDUW ect.The OT coming in at (mk2) hlf the second hand price now itā€™s hard to justify the cost.So?OT or MD (UW) ? Thatā€™s my question right now.The OT is great and probably far more open ended but the MD is just turn on and go.To some extentā€¦ā€¦But the MD has quite the personality out the box that is hard to break out fromā€¦ā€¦weā€™ll have to make some effort with the default machines imo.Great to mix with other stuff tho.not to knock it its just got a very strong personality ))

1 Like

performance macro controllers on mcl have changed the md forever and make it remain relevant as one of the most fun grooveboxes out there.
ot style parameter morphing with md synthesis and romsā€¦? new machine!
current sound migration post:

20 Likes

how did you do this??? :exploding_head: also what is sound migration

1 Like

sound migration is when i went to post in current sounds, but then read this thread and migrated the post here. not as exciting as you thought.

just got a quick pattern up and running, then added some scene morphs for variety and hit record.

1 Like

heh, donā€™t make me want to get another MCL and start the cycle all overā€¦ well Iā€™ll have to think about it, AFTER I use it to the max

i loved that crazy sax that came out near the beginning, is that just a sample or did you program that somehow