Am I the only one? [Machinedrum love]

Ran a MD pattern into Ableton Live through some plugins (Soothe2, KClip Zero, Kelvin, Pro-C, Shadow Hills Class A). Have been enjoying creating kits this evening.

14 Likes

You create different kit on ableton from a single pattern ?

Just used Ableton to record and effect. One pattern, muting and un-muting channels, abusing control-all. :slight_smile:

Ok, thanks, because I was thinking you were talking about creating ableton “rack drum kits” from recording MD.
Nice sounds any way :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ah I see what you mean. :slight_smile: The intention is to build a few kits on the MD, save them as SysEx files and share them with samples of them, so you can kinda take the kits with you wherever you go.

Thank you!

EDIT: Thought I would upload a longer, rough jam of the same kit and pattern. I manage to control-all the volume a couple of times which leads to discomfort, and the audio cuts out a couple of times. :smiley:

8 Likes

Sounds good, pretty impressive. The prob is that MD can do so much from one song so that it become unsamplable to build an ableton kit lol.

1 Like

soapbox time:
lot’s of talk about an md reissue recently, can’t think of a worst backwards step idea, that would be met with 50/50 love/hate. but mostly “meh” i expect.

sure, make something exciting and new, with fresh synthesis that embeds and expands upon its legacy and most inspiring features.
the trick will be a sonic palette that appeases the masses and looks forwards whilst allowing some nostalgia. no mean feat.

important to state there’s something about the md’s layout that makes the creative process a flow state unlike any other machine i’ve tried, its features and limitations may inspire directions you wouldn’t have taken otherwise.
so there is a special sauce in its physical size and design i think should be emulated to some degree, fibonacci sequence/critical brain limit of button combos and encoders. (but lose the jog wheel and give it a neuralink interface).

i’ll predictably add that MCL could be a solid and innovative blueprint to expand upon; chromatic mode, poly mode, mute states, live mute recording, whole pattern step shifting, performance scenes, flexible per pattern audio routing, all that good good stuff.
[redacted] took the original design mission and only enhanced it without detracting.

self promo time:

19 Likes

I love that the Machinedrum has a built-in EQ on every track. I use it to reduce excessive mid frequencies or sometimes boost these to e.g. add resonance to a snare. Makes it possible to sculpt production ready drums that really fit into a mix. I’d wish my Digitone had a parametric EQ like this.

10 Likes

I love that it has a modulatable master eq :kissing_heart:

2 Likes

I love the CTRL-AL on this machine, and the sound of the filter, especially on short retrigs.
:heart: :elmd:

9 Likes

I actually prefer the slightly dirty digital filters on the older models than the super clean ones in the digi’s and syntakt.

6 Likes

Hey, i saw a vid with the same avatar than yours is that you ?

I like a lot the big rotative selector :star_struck:

3 Likes

Yeah that happened, I don’t really even remember it! One of those made in two hour ones where the patterns just grab you and you work out some fun modulations and hit record.
I hope whoever clicks that likes distorted bass and 12bit tramens, otherwise there’ll be bitterly disappointed.

Just a few more informations in OT manual, compressor is probably similar.

Concerning the Threshold, you can set it by ear, after setting RATIO to max, Attack to min, you can hear the level decreasing under the Threshold.

Played this live set last Friday. I posted it in the SP-404 thread but figured I’d focus on the machinedrum’s role in this thread.

Machinedrum is still the heart of my live set in 2023! It’s running drums and some synth sounds with the x.09 firmware, as well as triggering samples on the SP-404, sequencing the behringer pro-1, and controlling the visuals running in VDMX on a laptop. The set is a 60-line “song” in song mode, so all the transitions are prepared beforehand but I have the flexibility to run loops longer or shorter as I see fit, add live mutes where needed, etc.

Machinedrum and SP-404 are a really fun match as well… in the jungle tune around 20 minutes in, I have a machinedrum LFO randomly deciding what SP-404 effect to apply to the master. SP-404 extends the sample playback time and quality, and adds master FX with realtime control.

5:00-10:00 is purely machinedrum music, the rest of the set it’s mixed with other gear in the setup.

18 Likes

I would have loved to have been there! I caught only a little bit of the set in Instagram, so I’m very happy you managed to capture the whole thing. Hope you’ll be playing more soon. There’s still nothing like a Machinedrum.

2 Likes

Thanks Peter!! I’ll let you know next time I have a gig. Also I plan on starting an Electronic Open Mic next year if you want to bring out the monomachine :smiley:

1 Like

ah, the old accidental Classic mode… :crazy_face:

I’m surprised the rogue firmware never created a software switch to lock that out for performances.

2 Likes

I’m listening now, this is very cool. the whole set is really solid. The little plucks around 15:00 are fun, and I loved the transition to the next section at 16:00 into the faster jungle-ish stuff, and then that bass guitar playing on top of the glitchy beat is magical. I love seeing acoustic instruments mixed with electronics, I’m an absolute sucker for this kind of fast paced breakbeat stuff with bass on top. Outro was solid too, incredible set.

2 Likes

I was freaking out SO MUCH in that moment lol, I’ve had the bro-1 sometimes suddenly get out of tune and thought it was the issue until the song reached the next transition and I heard all the machinedrum triggers were acting weird too… from there it wasn’t too hard to solve it. Just glad I didn’t stop the whole thing. A “classic mode lockout” would be sweet, or like… you have to hold the button for 4 seconds or something like that.

3 Likes