Am I the only one? [Machinedrum love]

Machinedrum will probably always be my favorite piece of gear. I always wanted a + Drive on mine because I use it in every project/jam/band. Unfortunately I waited too long & by the time I inquired about that the upgrade was no longer offered. A sort of solution is using the Digitakt’s 8 midi tracks to sequence the Machinedrum externally, then you can get by with one blank “pattern” on the MD & save all the actual beats on the DT. This is a good pairing for a lot of reasons, but I craved it to be in one place so I went for the Analog Rytm MK2, hoping it would somehow remedy that. Obviously they are very different machines, but I’m still scratching my head trying to get the ARYTM to express the sort of uniqueness & edge that the MD jumps to out of the box. The fantasy of a Machinedrum MK3 seemed almost within grasp at the news of the Syntakt, but I’m not convinced it has the sort of edge that the MD wields. Always I come back to it, and always it has something for me… Machinedrum will probably always be my favorite piece of gear

4 Likes

yes thatś a fantastic feature for totally messing up your kit and then - with one click - return to the saved version.
i use that all the time.

1 Like

i generally would like to listen to more MD productions. Maybe we can post our favoite jams here ?

2 Likes

Absolutely!

@waftlord is one of the most active MD users here and posts MD jams in the Current sounds coming from your gear thread quite often. Mindblowing stuff!

2 Likes

thanks @korpinen

some recent MD exclusive things that grabbed me! (a few users on instagram too doing amazing sonics) (edit: think Justins track’s got some Prophet lines but underpinned by MD)

These demonstrate really well how epic the MDs potential spectrum of sound is completely user defined. Enhanced ten fold by recent unofficial updates, personally i find the EV ringmod an exciting area for new subsonic bass exploration.

8 Likes

https://www.elektronauts.com/t/md-voices-diagram

should also link this in, always a joy to gain new insights of the legendary box.

3 Likes

Beautiful tracks !

Can anyone tell me if parts/repairs ( in Australia) are still available for Machinedrum sps1 mk 2 (non uw)? I am considering a second hand one, but it feels like there would be a high risk of something breaking down before too long given the age of these machines now.

I believe Logitronics in Melbourne repair Elektrons all the time.
Speaking of which I really should get some new encoders for mine.
They still work, but one or two are not as accurate as they once were.

1 Like

I guess that the first cut is the deepest. Bought a Machinedrum mk1 more than 20 years ago. Sold it. Later I bought an A4 and for a long time it was my greatest love. But then I found a cheap Machinedrum Mk2 UW and to this day nothing campares.

When the internal machines doesn’t do it for you it’s still the greatest sample player out there. Samples can easily sound thick and ready for the dancefloor. Or mellow and weird a second later.

Well nothing really exciting here more than a love letter to a unique machine

11 Likes

Saw this this morning for those in the market

It’s gone thru their synth wellness center so it should be in tip top shape. they do great werk

that’s in Canadian buckers

True,
And it controls the bitwig sampler (or any V sampler) as a midi controller for extra madness.

Has been a bit of a GASsy week… Lots of work, little time to play music so we know how it goes. Got some time to jam on the Machinedrum last night and today tho and decided I’d challenge myself to make something interesting on as few tracks as possible. Since I’ve been looking at drum machines that have four or six voices, I decided to limit myself to four tracks plus another two for recording and playing internally sampled bits. And although the other drum machines I’ve been looking at are analog and not directly comparable, the flexibility and variety of expression on the MD is just insane! So while a killer analog drum machine would be nice to have, I really think I’d always come back to the MD in the end. The tones I can get out of the TRX BD2, for example, is so varied I feel I could make a decent track using just a couple of those.

:elmd: :black_heart: eternal!

4 Likes

No, it does sound great with samples. I just put some alesis hr-16 samples in and it’s just awesome

:smiling_imp:Perkons​:smiling_imp: :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Would fit the narrative, right? :grinning:

Actually I’ve been looking at the Tempest and Analog Four (for drums). Perkons seems cool in many ways but a bit like the Analog Rytm I feel the sound wouldn’t fit into my music. It’s also very expensive (as is, of course, the Tempest).

1 Like

A4 is great for drums.

2 Likes

One reason not too often mentioned is the arp. It makes it capable of some very neat tricks as a drum machine.

3 Likes

I always love my MD. I realy love AR. I’m not sure i would love Perkons sounds side (not a big fan of Erica’s drum modules sounds).

But it’s UI is so appealing, that this very morning i was thinking of finding money for it. But in fact, you were right in your answer, no way to sold my good old MD.

The price of Perkons ? Not more than MD, Tempest or little bit more than AR. So, yes, expensive, but in the market.

The A4, yes for nice drum sounds and well paired with MD. Their sounds compliments each other.

The worst of our wallet life, nice for collector maniacs, hard to sustain learning curve.
But i often have this bad time :rofl:

1 Like

For Christ’s sake, don’t ever waste your time or money on a Tempest!

1 Like