Am I the only one? [Machinedrum love]

Why do I feel I need to post the decision meme with “burn eyes out with red screen” and “destroy machinedrum during replacement” in the other thread…

1 Like

You mean “destroy my MD trying to replace the screen myself”

The black screen is super SICK! CLEAN!

1 Like

I still think red is the right choice the company made, it doesn’t hit the eyes in the dark, while blue or white does.

2 Likes

Looks great! But (for me) only the red one is true!
Also like the new Audio Parasite faceplate - but I would never swap :grinning:

if this has been posted [as I can’t find] can I be direct to…

I’m trying to find a chart that shows the correlation to the compressor settings and the value of the encoder 0 - 127.

actually any and all charts for stuff like that in the MD. got the tips and tricks manual…it aint there. that was another tips and tricks manual that covered the MD and MNM but I cant find that either anymore [not sure if that info was in there tho]

thanks

1 Like

are you refering to something like this?

4 Likes

no…I mean something like…

THRD: 0 = -48, 3 = -47, 6 = -46 etc etc
RTIO: 0 = 1:1, 3 = 1:2, 6 = 1:3 etc etc

Got a machinedrum recently and I have no idea why they would orient the knobs like this. Such a weird design decision.

1 Like

That’s the “Next Level” document compiled by @Veets in 2011 from posts on elektron-users.com which is available here in the Files section:
Elektronauts
and linked to in the previous response to you by @ninqe.

As far as I know, nobody has sat down and measured the values in the way that you asked for. Maybe you could be the one to do it?

7 Likes

I have to give a shout out to (I believe) Amanita who did some follow up and showed that my labels are an approximation because there is some “interaction”. This means that if you turn one knob far enough it might affect some other parameters somehow.

The mystery deepens.

Anyway I personally would use the MD compressor a bit but not much as it is too hard to figure out. Nowadays there are a lot of other attractive options. FWIW.

I did not get to do ratios. I just ran a square wave through the compressor and looked at what happened. There is a software called Plugin Doctor by DDMF that can do some advanced stuff like that. It was not available back then. Hope this helps.

Also it might be worth pointing out that the Elektron team did all this a few years after university and with a primitive internet. No YouTube etc. I really have to hand it to them for an amazing accomplishment for the time.

4 Likes

I just might at that.

Thanks for link.

1 Like

it’s both my favourite and bizarre compressor i have access to.
this and the EQ really have such a dramatic and profound impact shaping your final sound from the main outputs.

any further info discovered would be interesting but spoil it’s dark secrets

3 Likes

I’ve said this in many threads already but since the X.04 update my love for the MD has grown exponentially - and I already loved it before!

However, I’m having some GAS for the Analog Rytm cos there’s one available close to me for a good price. I was thinking I could get fairly close Rytm territory by bringing back an Analog Heat to my setup. So I started searching for examples on MD + Heat on Youtube and here on Elektronauts but to my big surprise the results were thin.

Can anyone point me to some Heated MD tracks somewhere, please!

1 Like

i’d love to Heat my MD, sometimes a pattern just needs a tiny bit of extra grit and filth i know that device could bring so beautifully and subtly.

1 Like

Yeah, I agree! And I thought MD + Heat was such an obvious combination there’d be tons of examples but apparently not. Will have to try it myself then! :wink:

1 Like

Whisky rant:

It must be 20 years by now since the Machinedrum was released, defining the approach and sound of Elektrons sequencing and programming as we know it today.

Elektron have gone on to produce astounding instruments and continue to influence the sound of now, forever. With the MDs silver soul ever present.

Sending respect and adoration for one of the most inspiring human-machine drum interfaces created and the team that made it happen.

[redacted] have achieved the unknown by augmenting and evolving the OS 20 years later, with total adherence and respect towards the original design principles.

It struck me not many other electronic devices have had the MDs shelf life without remaining functionally static.

Make some noise for the MD and it’s eternal and pounding legacy in electronic music. elvis-presley-the-king

23 Likes

The beat on this track of mine is MD heavily AHeated: filter + distortion. There might have been another dist pedal between MD and AH too. Don t remember clearly.

8 Likes

:yum:

7 Likes

It’s funny because it’s true.

1 Like

Machinedrum SPS1 MK1 owner here.
I’d love to have the UW capability and longer patterns, but then part of the charm is that it’s just complex enough but not too much.
Unlike some later Elektron products that are 10% more capable but 100% more complex to use.
Something about the MD just clicked with me.
My previous boxes were Korg KPR77, Roland 505 and 606.
The MD is just so much easier to get crazy on. Or to quickly put together a beat with minimum fuss.
I’d kind of forgotten about my MD for a couple of years while I go more into modular and CV/gate gear in general. Then I read a forum post someplace about sequencing gear from the MD using it’s midi machines.
Tried that out and it’s insanely fun.
Sure you cannot play midi licks into it with a controller. And there are limits to polyphony per part. But for my use it is crazy cool to connect up a few other boxes via my MIDI Thru box and just play them from the MD. Esp with the LFO over MIDI controlling arbitrary params on said boxes.

5 Likes