Am I the only one? [Machinedrum love]

Love how much gain you can get out of the MD.

Pretty sure the VOL param starts distorting after midi value 63/64, but i have noticed the Distortion param (in most cases) won’t start distorting till midi value 96…
The distortion from VOL param comes on slower once it reaches that point and is much more mellow where the Distortion param is a little later (usually) and then having a quick/strong onset, but providing nice warmth before hand…

1 Like

yeah so many places for gain! it really depends on what kind of raw signal you start with how it ends up working out, very reactive and interactive system. carefully and subtly managing the gain is extremely crucial for MD to sound warm

hmm, being a bit liberal here but disregarding the source machine itself (which may have it’s own internal gain stages!) I count

1. amplitude modulator is arguably a gain stage
  2. track EQ
  3. filter base
  4. filter width
  5. filter Q (this will clip like whoa!)
  6. SRR can act as a filter/harmonics exciter and like amplitude modulator it can occasionally be meaningful as a gain stage
  7. DIST
  8. VOL
  9. PAN
  10. FX sends
  11. delay FX
  12. reverb FX
  13. master EQ
  14. master compressor
  15. track level
  16. master level

so many opportunities to make it sound terrible! (or amazing) :joy:

11 Likes

A bit. Make sense. :slight_smile:
Isn’t Track Level before Fx sends?

1 Like

:sweat_smile: yes it most definitely is! I added track and master level as an afterthought edit as I forgot them the first time

it’s pretty often I am working with MD and I can hear some unwanted clipping or distortion and then it’s time to do some digging, with heavy modulations things get particularly challenging, just like working with a modular synth

1 Like

Another lover here !
I got my second hand MD mkII à couple of years. I fell in love fast cause diferent engines, easy to get glitchy sounds, and flexibility. A months ago, I bought à DT, at the begining I had à little concern about the posibility the DT replace my MD… but I notice fastly that is not possible ! MD it’s irreplaceable!

10 Likes

29 posts were merged into an existing topic: The different MachineDrums?

just recently upgraded my mkII to the UW and it’s like a whole new machine… probably my favourite piece of hardware ever. will never give it up

8 Likes

But the question now is, will you ever let it down?

Or even, would you turn around and desert it?

10 Likes
off topic

[doing crossword]

Me: emphatic no; five letters
Wife: never

Me: pistol; three letters
Wife: gun

Me: disgust; three letters
Wife: ugh

Me: charity; four letters
Wife: give

Me: female sheep; three letters
Wife: ewe

Me: Pixar movie; two letters
Wife: Up

10 Likes

lol it took me a minute :joy:

2 Likes

Finally got a MD MKII UW+ after lusting for one for over 3 years.
The absolute pinnacle of Elektron machines. Definitely something special :sparkling_heart:

7 Likes

you are NOT alone. I have both RYTM and MD and I had the MD for 8years now and It is superior.

2 Likes

Me too. I have both but hardly use Rytm, it would be the first one to go.

2 Likes

Same here, I spent many hours of fun with the Rytm (my first Elektron), but now I got the MD and MnM it’s sleeping in its box. Maybe it will come to life again one day, I just can’t sell it.

Just saw that today is my 3 year anniversary with my Machinedrum. A piece of gear that totally changed my setup. :sparkling_heart:

3 Likes

basically i registered today just to say: in my 14 years of having the MD i never knew or found out the FUNC + knob twist trick. i kinda feel like an idiot now.

and to add to the praising in this thread, i think that i’m gonna state in my will that i want to be buried with my MD, that thing is just unmatched.

11 Likes

Control All?
No, at the contrary, you’re not an idiot anymore!
Enjoy! :grinning:
Did you use the CTRL ALL machine?

Lots of tricks here :
http://tarekith.com/assets/machinedrum_tipsandtricks.htm

Maybe my last record with MD. I’m about to sell it. Boring to change machines, tune (even with OT + midi processor), boring lfo assignments (especially for MID and CTR machines), clicky…

I’m planning to get the DN. Pretty sure I’ll have more pleasure and even better drums sounds. Maybe AR MKI later.

EFM BD, 4 voices. Sequenced by OT + midi processor (notes to pitch). I’d need different tune settings for each machine ! Would be straight forward with DN.

11 Likes

You’ll miss it! Such a wonderful machine. If you can find a way to keep it, you should IMO :wink:

1 Like

I don’t think so, especially if I have a DN and / or an AR !

Mainly frustrations with it. Not enough lfos for me. I need 2 or 3 per machines. Lfos for MID machines don’t work unless you use a CTR8P that don’t have lfo! Not finished product.
A good example, you can’t send a CC1 with a MID machine. It goes from 0 to 2 directly.

Better results sequenced by OT with a midi processor but that hurts my brain…midi implementation is an hassle. I even use sysex to change machines.

giphy%20(2)

3 Likes