Allen & Heath CQ Series

I have a CQ18, replaced my 1998 mixwizard 14:4:2… and my tascam16x08 its interesting. some things i love, some things I hate.

no physical faders :frowning: is certainly different.

my two biggest gripes are with a bonus third one

1 - you cant remove something from the main LR bus. an inputs fader is tied directly to the lr bus so you cant use the fader to control the send to aux bus. this is what i miss most from my analog deck. different way of working i guess.

2 - no inbuilt compressor with sidechain. they give you a bunch of effects (all these reverb options, chorus, delay, flanger, to me useless crap) but you cant sidechain to duck anything on the device.

3 - no mute groups… inputs are usb send pre-mute (muting input doesnt mute the usb send to daw of that input), so you have to send to an aux because send to an aux is post mute and send the aux to the daw… I can live without mutegroups and stuff (mixingstation can do it but id rather rely on just the hardware device), but i use a TRS pedal and map mutes through it, i can get things working but…

using it in my daw works really well. 96k in and out. its annoying that it doesnt send ALL the aux back. you have to pick whats routed to the higher numbered tracks, but theres more options than tracks so something gets missed…

overall its a strange device, I like it, and getting used to the workflow but I feel i’m really using it not as intended. some things feel like a big hack and some missing things feel like a giant WTF where they thinking. its deffo made for doing stuff live, more than an audio interface on a desk

overall I dont expect things will change, the functions that are there are set in stone. bug fixes will be minimal but really dont see anything new being added. keith on a&h forums is pretty adamant that X/Y/Z option cant be done, reading between the lines and his statements.

what I really wanted was a “qupac” device version of the SQ series, the CQ is not it!

1 Like

I also had this feeling for a long time but that’s because:

I use it now only for doing live shows with my band or for some fast recording sessions during rehearsals or for quick demo recordings / testing microphone setups. For these tasks the CQ series make a lot of sense. All is aimed to make this very convenient and have fast results.

For using it in the studio as a sort of multi-track / mixer / producing desk I’d say it’s not the best option.

I agree, I make it work for what I need, but totally recognise I’m not using it as its primarily intended to be used. The trade off for me was the small footprint and saving 3k$USD over the SQ5.

Thanks for the detailed feedback @BloodyCactus & @rtme

I decided to just keep rolling with the model 12.