Algorithmic Acid

Where can i vote for you ?

:sweat:
Well, i have to say, i did this kind of experiments over 15 years ago.
Yes, i used Max (actually i think it was PD), but also some nord modular.

And i didn’t really get as far as you seem to have gotten (or, god forbid, Autechre :laughing: )
I not sure i have any of that stuff anymore, but at no point was it anything you could play as an ‘instrument’.
So they were mostly conceptual experiments exploring particular bits of such a generative process.
In that respect it’s more in my head than actually patched out, which may actually be my biggest problem. There are just too many possibilities and they all take time to make. I find it hard to choose and ‘trust’ a particular conceptual road.
And in the end i never felt the need to make actual tracks with these kinds of generative tools. I find it interesting to listen to but i’ve never found a comfortable place in making it.

So kudos to you for actually pushing through !

I do some stuff in reaktor as well, but these tend to be more conservative patchings, as is my general approach to sounds since some time now.

1 Like

lovin this stuff :ok_hand:

1 Like

Love the stuff you’ve been posting in the thread. Totally getting that autechre live vibe. I find it Stimulating and enjoyable.

2 Likes

Hey, I think it’s strictly Native Instruments employees who are judging the submissions, but thanks anyway! Deadline was the 16th to submit, but I needed some time to put together some snapshots to show how to work the damned thing. By far the biggest thing I’ve ever made. It was like 65mb before I added a small sample bank (Machinedrum sounds BTW) so when you download the .ens you get a bunch of one shots you can use for anything as well. I should be uploading to the user library today.

edit:here it is :slight_smile: https://www.native-instruments.com/en/reaktor-community/reaktor-user-library/entry/show/12457/

3 Likes

Really mind blowing! Kudos :bowing_man:‍♂️
Trying to wrap my head around it, the workflow is clear enough but there some obscure stuff hard to grasp. Is there a sort of documentation?

1 Like

Thanks for checking it out! Haven’t made any documentation yet, but if you have any questions I am happy to answer here

Dope stuff.

3 Likes

Sound nice , listening to 42 right now, has a sort of autechre plaid vibe
I prefer the not random side, melodies that repeat and evolve , helps to keep it a little more listenable. Listening to random noise fm glitch thing is why I didn’t bother going to see / buy autechre for the last decade , though I can understand why they would continue doing their own thing , it’s working out well for them .

I suggest you keep doing your thing and although ‘sounds like autechre’ is a complement doing your own thing is more preferable , otherwise it’ll always be compared to them (in my opinion).
It takes a long time / luck to get a reaction of ‘sounds like (add your own name here) .

And before I get complaints , I just expressed my opinion about autechre , I’ve bought a lot of things over the years , they do interesting things , but i’m not keen on their recent stuff . Not an insult to them , or you if you like them … the internet / forums are becoming a weird non tolerant place in some respects , feel free to disagree , it’s fine .im just expressing my own personal view as anyone else can .just though I better add this .

Keep going !

3 Likes

If you can’t dance to this you are not a Dancer, try Harder :grinning:

1 Like

Thanx a lot for uploading this to the User Library.
This is soundwise the most inspiring Ens. in the User Library for Years, but the UI is really hard to get, at least for me it is really hard to comprehend how the relationship from the Sequencer to the Synth Engine and Drum Engine is.
Can you please explain this a bit ?
I am especially interested and impressed with the Synth Section, can you describe the various Engines ? are they inspired from other Library Synths ?
Do you have the Synths as standalone Ens. also and would like to share it ? that would be totally awesome for futher studying.
Thanks again and sorry for asking so many Questions :grinning:

Enjoying this thread, have to update my Reaktor to 6 when I get some dosh.
:+1:t3:

Thank you so much for your support :slight_smile:
I’ve understand how to trig drums and synth, modulate and route stuff but there’s tons of parameters in the “trig” panel I can’t understand what they do. I’ve highlighted them :slight_smile:

I got it working at 11k , lots of pages / tick boxes and general madness.

Hehe, yeah, I guess its kinda cryptic, and don’t forget that some of the sequencer modules have A and B views. On the trig seq, A is Ch 1-4 and B is Ch 5-8.
So the Pulsar section is just 4 clock divider’s (the other 4 are on the B view) dividing down from the 96 ticks/bar clock. They also have a probability gate associated with them. These are signals trig 1-8 and the raw probability gate tied to each is coin 1-8.
The Swap modules take an incoming trig signal and probabilistically re routes that signal to 4 or 2 different outputs, swap a 1-4, swap b 1-2, swap c 1-4, swap d 1-2.
The Map modules take multiple incoming signals (both trig/gates and cv) and uses its own clock divider/probability engine to select which of the 4 signals it chooses between.
The And Logic blocks above it all are useful ways of turning off and on different signals. You could for example take Ch1 triggers and route them through an And with one of the Coin gates, and the triggers only pass through to the instrument when the coin is high. The Or is actually an XOR, but just think of it as a way of combining two different trig sequences.
The hold function is just that, it takes whatever pulses you send into them and will hold them in the high state for as many beats as you want.
The stuff to the right is kinda tricky. Notice how Ch1, Ch3, Ch5 and Ch7 have two rows? The second row activates the modules to the right of the sequencer, which is essentially a multi tap delay for the triggers being generated on those tracks. You can also use it to put probability on individual steps, rather across the whole channel. Because of the way events work, this isn’t always 100% what you expect to happen, trigs can cancel each other out in interfere with each other in interesting ways.
The Counter module is the heart of the sequencer, generating the pulse and index for the sequencer. You have one for both A and B panels that can be independent or linked. You can select forward or reverse direction as well as a mode where it probabilistically determines direction after x beats.
You also have a knob labeled start mod under the first pulsar on both A and B. This creates an offset that gets added to the counters index. I think that mostly covers the Trig sequencer module :cowboy_hat_face:
Edit: forgot to say the Not module just gives a logical inverse of whatever fate you want to send to it. And the remix function on the counter does interesting things to your sequence by manipulating the index

3 Likes

This track is absolutely sick. I would pay good money for a .wav of that.

2 Likes

:exploding_head: many thanks!!

Hey, huge thanks for the compliment!
The only instrument in it that I pulled from my previous work is the FM synth.
It is 4op, no algorithms because anything can modulate anything else. Actually its kinda an 8op synth because each operator has a slave oscillator dedicated to bending the operator into saw or square shapes, as well as feedback per operator. that gets fed into a vector mixer that feeds a waveguide (tuned delay line that follows the pitch) and this feeds a filter, then the output. Its half of my bigger synth I call VectOP, which also has 4 additive engines and a wave folder, but it was too big and CPU heavy to really work in this context, so I chopped off about half of the instrument. Haven’t shared that in the UL.
THCK is based on the classic minimoog architecture, but with added modulation possibilities as well as a dedicated sub OSC that can be pre or post filter.
3ISH is just a simple one oscillator acidy mono synth, very basic.
RingSine is just a duo phonic two sine tones synth that can mix between adding the sines and multiplying them (AM)
Chord is a simple 4 oscillator paraphonic synth. square waves only, PWM, LP/BP filtering. pretty basic, but useful.

Drum synths are mostly based around xox-ish architecture.
Skin is capable of Kicks, Snares, toms, congas, rims, etc.
Metal is focused on hats, rides, cowbells, and all manner of clanky sounds, but also can do some pretty great snares.
Clap is what it says on the tin.
FM1 is a basic 2op with filter FM and noise engine. Great for hats, rides and metal sounds, but also can do pretty cool kicks and snares and bleeps.
The sample module is loaded up with some MachineDrum samples I made 15 years ago :slight_smile:, and can use modulation to switch which sample is played

The primitive engines are basic useful things for layering on top of the more complex engines. There is a swept sine generator, great for kicks zaps and bleeps, and a simple noise generator with envelope for adding transients.
You can also load a small selection of effects in the primitive slot, a few different distortion algs and a delays.

I have a few more instruments built (even a basic physmod/modal engine!) that I have integrated into a new version, but I’m waiting until I iron out a few issues in the new sequencer module before uploading the next revision.

1 Like

Thanks!
I’ve been approached by a label looking to put some of this stuff out, but I’ll PM you a .wav

1 Like

OMGOMGOMGOMGOMG. thanks!