Alesis NanoSynth problem

trying to set up my alesis nanosynth to accept bank/program change. could use some help. tried p-locking bank and program knobs, and attempted sending cc32 as explained earlier in the thread. Though i may have done that wrong.

the manual says that the nanosynth only responds to controller 0 and not controller 32 for bank select, but i am unsure what that means.

This means that the NanoSynth is one of the very few instruments with which the DT/DN/OT should work without any workarounds. You should be able to use the Bank Select and Program Change fields on the MIDI sequencer tracks without having to fiddle around with any other CC messages.

2 Likes

unfortunately, it is not responding to the dt bank or program knob :frowning:

If the NS isn’t receiving MIDI at all (can you sequence notes?) then check that the switch on the rear is set to “MIDI”.

Ensure that the DT’s MIDI sequencer track is set to a MIDI channel on which the NanoSynth has a program assigned.

Ensure that you send the Program Change immediately after the Bank Select.

The Bank value should be in the range from 0 to 4.

i can sequence notes and the handful of midi ccs that the nanosynth responds too. The nano synth should respond to program changes and midi on all channels at the same time, so i have my dt track im using set simply to midi channel 1. The dt has no 0 on the bank knob though.

Ive tried p-lock the bank and program change to one step. Ive also p-locked the bank change to step1 and the program to step2 with step2 microtimed all the way to the left. im getting no results.

1 Like

Does hand-turning the DT’s Program Change knob change the program on the NS? (I imagine you have to play some notes to hear whether it has changed.)

hand turning the bank and prog knobs does not do anything.

1 Like

Does the NS’s MIDI indicator LED flash when hand-turning the DT’s Program Change knob (presumably it does flash when receiving notes?)

Any other gear that you can connect to the NS to send it PC messages?

The valid Bank Select range for the NS should therefore be 1 to 5 on the DT.

tried to send prog change from my mnm to the ns, no dice there either. midi light comes on for basically everything except program knob movement. im guessing its something with the nanosynth at this point, but documentation on it is not great.

1 Like

The web says “re-initialize the NS”. See close to the foot of this page for instructions:
http://www.midiworld.com/quadrasynth/faq.htm

1 Like

Cool, Thanks for this and all the help so far, going to try the reinitialize and go from there.

1 Like

the reinitialize got it working. thank you very much for the help.

2 Likes

The web also says that there may be a PC receive on/off switch in Global Edit pages of the NS, but these are only accessible using a software editor (which presumably uses MIDI SysEx to access the hidden settings.)

The SoundTower editor (Windows) appears to be free now.

2 Likes