Alesis 3630 or FMR RNLA... which would you get?

i do not like the compressor. it’s fine but nothing more than “fine”.

yesss i was reading about this, but didn’t quite understand the whole deal. will try to dig deeper, no doubt.

1 Like

The deal is that the compressor reacts less or not at all to low frequencies, so bass drums remain punchy, while peaks in higher frequencies cause the comp to engage. Good for compressing or limiting a mix without squeezing the life out of the low end.

I m likely getting a RNC with filter (perhaps done via my mixer eq instead of an Fmod) for my live sets sometime soon.

1 Like

gotcha! thanks!!!

I vote we from hereafter refer to this as the Jaypass filter hack.

7 Likes

+1 :slight_smile:

:sunglasses:

4 Likes

The “dirty 30” is where its at. I tend to use teo of my individual outs of my machinedrum to sequence the sidechain. Pretty rad. If youre diligent you can get them for like $20. Most of the people that buy them flip them cheaply on craigslist once they realize they dont know what to do with them.

+1 on this , couldn’t get passed the horrible dull sound to even enjoy any pumping… so to speak lol

1 Like

Hi, what’s this about , super curious

Edit: Found!

1 Like

Yep a great example of lateral thinking, and a great share by @adamjay when others might be tempted to keep it as their own special sauce.

5 Likes

ive got both in the studio, and if you like the 3630 sound and just have to choose one…get the 3630. They are super cheap, easy to repair and the power supplies are easy to find. The FMR is good, but if you loose that power supply, getting the right one can be tough as they need special ones, and the FMR just doesnt have that old school pump the cheap 3630 has.
Grab a cheap 3630 and see if it works, and if not then move up to the FMR.

1 Like

yeah tbh i’m gonna prob get both at this point, but start with the RNLA, just to cover that base. but for sure, at such a price, i can’t afford NOT to buy it… or something. etc.

1 Like

I think the newer models switched to DC and is much easier. I could be wrong though…

I believe they´re all still AC.

but there´s a few places you can get replacement PSUs for that, for example the guys that also sell the Volca adapters etc.:
http://myvolts.de/product/10541/9V_FMR-Audio_Compressor-/-Limiter_RNC1773_Netzteil_Ladegerat?gclid=Cj0KCQjw9JzoBRDjARIsAGcdIDXsPzklSX1QxHb44ENv1mUbgd01knL1TE5AX9NA7a3vlVu3xFYMqYAaAuQWEALw_wcB

that PSU should (!) also work for the RNLA

1 Like

If not using the RNLA as an insert you gotta get a bal/unbal vice versa line converter. I use the Ebtech hum eliminator since it’s after the Analog Heat balanced outs. Just something to factor in.

Having had the RNC, RNLA, 3630 I would say on the master bus either FMR wins for sound quality. Just as a SC on a synth, 3630.

2 Likes

You can use balanced cables if you want. it just wont be balanced coming out.

thanks, I was gonna say - what @ObscureMachines writes is generally good advice in a studio environment, but not necessary for every hobby musician.

the FMR boxes just aren´t balanced (see below for why they use TRS connectors), but they take pretty much anything you throw at them and spit out good, solid -but unbalanced- audio.

though it is pretty damn cool that you CAN hook them up as “inserts” with a balanced TRS cable.

when using a TRS cable to connect in a “in-line” way (=not insert) you technically ‘waste’ the return path, but to my experience it does not do any damage or sound any different.

your Analog Heat for example should simply not notice that the FMR is trying to “send back” a signal when you´r using balanced cables between the two.

1 Like

Funny. To be sure I would use unbalanced TS cables in such scenario.

2 Likes

Yeah I do. No point in paying more for balanced cables.