Akai MPC One [ Retired : Search for MPC Thread ]

If your samples are equally spaced you could chop by region then hit shift and convert, use the option new program with samples. Then go to the newly created program and tap each pad to edit that specific sample. Drag the end tab to your desired endpoint, hit process and discard.

Thanks! I think I’m going to work on the original audio files a little first (removing some of the silence in Audacity), then work on building drum programs in the MPC. I don’t see too many sample packs for the Xbase 09, so I’m going to clean up the samples a little and package them up as giveaway on my website once that’s finished hopefully in a few weeks. Maybe that’ll give me a little bit of free promotion.

Once I build out the MPC programs I’ll give those away too, but people will probably appreciate the raw samples a lot more initially being able to use them in whatever app or hardware they want.

3 Likes

If you have several samples per drum sound, consider making your drum program round robin. Works great for snares, claps and hihats especially!

You can make a pad round robin by loading samples on the 4 available pad layers and activating CYCLE or RND CYCLE mode in the global program edit page.

3 Likes

The MPC one looks pretty good looks how does it gel with elektron gear? Can it change patterns in time?

I have had good luck with the slice with treshold. You can set the treshold and length. Works very well for stuff like your example. In busy loops it can get a bit confused, but it is easy to add slices for those hits it doesnt register correctly.

2 Likes

I got it sorted by the end of the thread

Sorry for the shitty loops. But it differentiates.

1 Like

Back home from a long weekend near the Baltic sea, way too tired to make music, can watch Loopop MPC One review :white_check_mark:
6 Likes

Just picked up an mpc one from guitar center a few days ago. It seems to have issues with pads double triggering at times. It seems go away if I adjust pad sensitivity and threshold but remains a problem when full level is activated. Anyone else notice this? Should I get a replacement?

I suggest contacting Akai support.

Double triggering sounds worrisome. Many MPCs have suffered from this. Hope its just your unit and not every MPC one out there. Changing pad size and pad sensors have been a bit of a hit and miss in various Akais AFAIK

Mine has done this a few times, but not consistently or a lot. I wasn’t sure what to make of it a first TBH and thought it was likely something I was doing. Did you have to adjust the sensitivity up or down? I’m guessing down? My sensitivity is at the default, but I was thinking about increasing it actually.

It’s actually happening a lot less frequently now than earlier. I now have the threshold turned down to 6 and the sensitivity up to 13 but I’m still playing around with the settings. What I do know is that it happens mostly when I use full level mode.

Thanks for the info. I’ll play around with it and keep an eye on it. I’d hate to think anything has to ‘break in’ but maybe brand new pads need a little bit of use first? Purely speculating… I’ve never any any MPC’s before. I won’t worry about it unless it surfaces a lot more.

Just watched the Loopop video… that auto sampling feature is insane! I didn’t know it did that. I really didn’t go all that deep into Live or X reviews before I bought into the One. This box is full of surprises.

1 Like

It happens a lot a find. I attribute it to me being a shitty finger drummer. Hitting without conviction and kinda half holding down on the hit. Could be crappy pads too…but I think its me. I’m trying to get better at tapping hard enough and not lagging on the hit. And if I’m going for sustain…making sure I keep sufficient pressure.

There is threshold and sensitivity. Turn up a Thresh and lower Sens. I find 12 Thresh and 6 Sens werks pretty well. I dunno…still trying to find my sweet spot. Practice.

2 Likes

autosampling is neat, but could be better. You have to manually set loop points for every sample unless you use very long sampling time for sustained sounds, which then eats alot into your RAM. Still experimenting with it for finding the best compromise between a realistic caputre and relatively small RAM footprint.

There’s a bunch of multisampled keygroup programs being shared on Gearslutz. IIRC a user called kcearl has sampled a lot of keygroups on share over there.

2 Likes

What is the maximum sample length? Thanks

Thats the only negative thing ive experienced with autosampling too. Its hard to get automatic looping. But im not shure how it could be done better. A little experimentation with crossfade looping made it better, but still had to adjust it manually afterwards.

1 Like

I had issues with the pads double-triggering on MPC Live when I got it. I played with the pad sensitivity, etc., but nothing helped. Eventually I figured out that it was 100% my technique to blame: i.e. if you tend to rest your fingers on the pads after striking them, you’ll get double-triggers. The MPC pads float a millimeter or so above the sensor, so if you rest your fingers at all, even for a split second, the pads will bounce. Personally, I developed this bad habit on the Tempest, on which the pads cannot bounce by merit of their design. Anyway, once I figured that out and changed my technique, I put the pads back to their default settings, and I’ve not had an issue with double-triggering since.

Cheers!

6 Likes

Believe me normally I deal with Sweetwater, but I had some Amazon cash to use and figured what better way to knock a hundred bucks off the sale price and get it there. I did the pre-order through Amazon and am patiently waiting…

Wrong thread, sorry