Akai MPC Live Mk II

You can use the knobs to control just about anything on any screen. One of the latest updates allows you to touch the knob so you can see what you’re changing/effecting.

I’ve been giving some thought to the new versus old MPCs. The new ones have more knobs i.e. 4 knobs versus 1 slider. You can configure those knobs to control just about anything at a project level (macros) so there’s some more control for sure with the new ones.

But the 2000xl had some magic to its simplicity. I had one around the same time 99 to 05 maybe 06.

With that said, I borrowed a friends XL recently and was like, “damn, this thing is a pain in the ass to do XYZ in this day and age”

3 Likes

As I say I’ve picked up a bit of muscle memory for those functions and I find I’ve been using them quite a bit. Especially grid and browser. I’ve not really explored the Sampling side yet, more using the onboard samples and plug in synths and arranging on the piano roll.

1 Like

Between the dedicated buttons on the panel, the pad shortcuts, and the Q-links, there’s rarely a need to touch the screen. That’s coming from someone who decidedly hates touchscreens.

Now, that’s not to say that you’ll never need to touch the screen, but it is trivial if you want it to be. My best advice is to force yourself to learn the pad shortcuts and Q-links inside-out. That takes some dedication, but it’s worth it if you want to stay off the screen and feel more connected to the machine.

Nostalgia notwithstanding, honestly, the workflow on the new MPCs is way more efficient and immediate than (even the best of) the older machines. No contest.

Cheers!

3 Likes

the retro and a model samples /or digitakt is such a heavenly combo

The problem I had with my MPC Live was not the need for the screen for music functions, but the amount of jumping between screens to get to the musical function you want. I guess that is to be expected on such a small surface that has such a vast functionality and flexibility. Bottom line for me was that it was a great production tool but a lousy machine for live playing/jamming until I added a Faderfox. Now it’s awesome.

2 Likes

I use an MF Twister with an OT for the same reasons. Levels, eqs, fx sends. Helps so much.
It’s cool that the Live has host ports!

1 Like

I don’t have an Octatrack, but from what I know an external controller is much more critical for an MPC. On Octatrack you have 8 tracks, each with a dedicated select button, and then a few menus with dedicated select buttons and then 6 knobs for those menus, so I am under the impression you are 2 dedicated buttons and a twist away from most of your FX, EQ, filter settings.

On MPC you have 4 FX slots per pad, 4 FX slots per Program (track), 4 FX slots per subgroup, per send, per return and way more than 8 programs which can each have 128 pads. To make it truly jammable it would have to be the size of a ping-pong table yet it has way less physical controls than Octatrack.

Certainly the MIDI routing and connectivity are superb.

3 Likes

Ordered a Retro mk2!
Shipping to Canada finally​:slightly_smiling_face::slightly_smiling_face:

7 Likes

where did you order from?

Moog Audio, Tom Lee, and Long n McQuade are options

1 Like

I wonder if this means it’s going to stick around for a while as opposed to being a limited run type thing

I hope it does well enough for them to go forward with an MPC One Retro Edition.

3 Likes

me too, it really does make a difference

1 Like

Happy Force owner but if they make a Force mkii Retro I might end up in a gear list abyss…

1 Like

if they make a force retro mk2 mini
I couldn’t resist

It’s funny how the 2004 me was saying « Akai beige is so boring , they should make all MPCs flat black now ». What an idiot. I also wore Ed Hardy t shirts then too. So sorry.

9 Likes

Got mine from Andertons, they ship fast to Canada.

I think I’m gonna offer up my black MPC Live for trade for an rytm mk2 and see if anyone’s interested as I don’t use it since I got the retro

I know it is silly, but the Retro LOOKS like it’s got more buttons and a better workflow, lol. Plus the colour scheme makes the whole touchscreen-centred UI appear more MPC.

3 Likes

I really think doing the MPC One in classic grey like they did the Live MkII would jump sales. I would get One for sure.

2 Likes