AK vs A4 : the sound is VERY different

But of course, as it is the first thing I do with a new (used) unit (AK), and the last thing I do when letting a unit go, before packing (A4)

:slight_smile:

5 Likes

Forgive my doubts :smile:

3 Likes

I donā€™t expect you to do this but Iā€™m curious if the results turn out exactly the same after calibrating each unit againā€¦

Is it just a post eq thing ?
Do they sound the same with eq correction ?
If I had both, Iā€™d use a white noise and good multiband eq to correct and compare again after.

^A little louder for the people in the back

3 Likes

not everyone reads patch notes, eh??!! :sleeping: F1 Resonance Boost was added in one of those updates :wink: Elektron turned that off for existing Patches and turned it on for new patches. They even warned you in the Patch Notes to let it turned off for existing patches as they might become too loud in the end.

1 Like

thats literally the same workflow on every subtractive synth which has a multi-mode filter imho. need bass? turn the HPF or Peak Filter down, boost the Resonance, turn Filter Keytrack on and adjust to taste. I design EVERY bass sound that way - for ages already! Eliminates the need for the obvious EQ-Works after recording.

1 Like

No, not relating to reso boost.

ITā€™s why I am grateful that A4/AK voices each have both a solid LPF and a highly flexible multi-mode filter.
Filter 2 is the jam!

1 Like

Yeah but would be nice if you had a switch to also bypass the filter as you can with the Heat. Even with filters wide open they still color the sound too much imo.
Would be good to have the option to hear and use the direct raw ā€˜unfilteredā€™ A4 / AK oscillators at times, and use external filters etc.

Thereā€™s no way to know that theyā€™re coloring the sound if you canā€™t turn them off.

6 Likes

didnt they say in the AK videos or launch that they did change the overall low end of the AK to make it more punchy? I swear I remember them saying they did mess with the oscillators to add weight to the sound.

1 Like

I recall them saying that as well. Not in regards to the Oscs though, but architecture maybe?

Yep thatā€™s why I said imo.
Comparing to other synths it sounds it. Listen to a raw saw wave with filters wide open and comparing to other synths the very top end still seems to be shaved off a little indicated subtle filtering still occurring. Doesnā€™t quite have the raw bite of other synths, and also a contributing factor imo why some people may say the A4 has a ā€˜dullā€™ sound.
Anyway my opinion only so who cares :totes:

1 Like

FWIW, I recently got an A4 after a year of owning an AK. Both sound great, but I donā€™t pick up on the allegedly meatier low end in the AK based on A/B testing.

As someone said, each individual analogue synth unit will have its quirks.

1 Like

Why is there any argument going on when the ACTUAL OFFICIAL Elektron FAQ answer pasted by tr909 above says they are different and that the AK has bass differences, and the Simon M soundcloud recordings confirm exactly that?

I have both they sound the same to me. The Simon examples on soundcloud also sound the same to me :slight_smile:

1 Like

Those who think they sound very different must have an odd definition of ā€˜very.ā€™

4 Likes

It depends on the dimensions of the listenerā€™s cranial and chest cavity and the wavelength of the specific note you use to compare bass.
We all resonate at slightly different pitches.

My tinnitus might be evening out the sounds haha

1 Like