AI music, musicians, and music jobs

I suppose on one hand, with the usage you describe it is just another tool, and for things like routine “boring” tasks like sample management, probably pretty handy.

But for creative use I won’t use AI, in the same way that I won’t use presets or algorithmic composition aids, it would make me lazy but also take away the point of creating music. It can reasonably be argued that if using drum machines and sequencers AI is the next logical step, but for me it is a step too far. I think its use will be widely adopted in commercial music, movies etc. though, and will eventually replace musicians, actors, directors etc in some products.

But just as drum machines and sequencers did not render musicians redundant AI likely won’t, but rather will run alongside.

1 Like

all I’m sayin is put all your money in popcorn stocks

Nah.
Sorry, I disagree.

In factories, war, distribution of goods and general transport, energy distribution etc.
Yes, ai will do.

But nothing beats it if you watch a good musician do its stuff.

Perhaps ai’s generating a lot of stuff for spotify etc, but i like to go to concert, because of… well… humans.

2 Likes

What will the AIs themselves be listening to in their sparetime? Kraftwerk?

What do you mean by this? Expecting an AI to out emotion a human artist is quite a reach.
AI doesn’t have any emotions.

I’ve never been emotionally moved by a picture generated by AI.

3 Likes

This is such a depressing thread. Reading it first thing in the morning really sets me up for a bad day and makes me hate Philip K. Dick for inventing all this shit!

2 Likes

Very true. I think a lot of it is just to provoke though. It seems like a new version of the classic doomer edgelord BS.

1 Like

anything? this one really affected me :face_with_monocle:
(available now in my online shop)

1 Like

Nope, nothing. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

you have a cold cold heart. it’s a molerat man chilling on a tree smoking a cigar! pure joy.

3 Likes

Hmm… well, it reminds me that the best cigars are still hand made and that looks like an AI generated image of a non-handmade cigar! You can see this by how it is burning unevenly.

1 Like

i think the original prompt may have included "pipe’ actually. and as AI pipes go that’s quite the streamlined device.

1 Like

What a joke! Actually, I smoke pipes on occasion (no twirled moustache here!) and this one company, Esoterica from the UK, which makes some of the best blends use equipment which was made a couple hundred years ago and supply is so limited that they sell out within a matter of minutes when retailers put them online and people resell them for crazy prices on the secondary market.

Awaiting the “Pipe Smokers” thread.

I think an interesting aspect of that image is that when i requested DALL E 2 create alternative generations it refused, stating it’s own creation violated it’s TOS…

happened a few times now…

1 Like

I think what the first big shift will be that AI will replace the music most people listen to. This will also be the end of the the “western” dominance of mainstream music as we know it today.

The growth in the economy of the countries where most people in the world live will lead people in these countries to be the most important market for streaming platforms.

Basically tracks will be generated and then a singer will be recorded. This can then be pumped out at a super efficient rate totally taking over the streaming platforms.

The traditional pop industry will loose its relevance completely.

I think it might be a good thing :blush: human music will not have the big pop industry as a sort of benchmark anymore. It will be more like poetry or something. Art for specially interested people.

Well, you might not need the actual singer to sing it, sometime soon. I heard this piece on NPR over the weekend.

https://www.npr.org/2022/08/26/1119220726/holly-herndon-how-ai-can-transform-your-voice

This woman was really annoying. Downplaying the potential for this technology to be used to defraud people of their own voices and touting how it will open up new forms of creativity. Obviously, she is set to financially benefit from developing the technology which is fine, but that wasn’t really covered in the interview.

1 Like

There are already lots of humans that make better music than me and yet I’m here making mine. I don’t think AI will change that, so it’s ok for me.

I think it might be interesting to watch two robot’s playing tennis - sure these robot’s will have fan’s and people will be fascinated but ultimately - as time passes people will want to see real humans playing tennis - because that is the fundamental point - a game of tennis played by two other humans - the issue that I foresee with AI music is that after the initial excitement has passed - and people want to start listening to human made music again - how are they gonna know when their listening to AI or human music? At a point there will be so much AI music in circulation it’s gonna be a task sifting out the genuine from the artificial -

Personally by belief is that AI music will become something that the majority of people have no passion for and a revertion shift will take place - the human animal is fundamental…

2 Likes

100% AI anything will be for me little more than a novelty. AI Go champions, rendered images, music will get from me nothing more than a “Huh.”

If it helps a bedroom nobody master their tracks, I couldn’t care less.

An EMP war will probably wipe out all of our technology so we’d all be better off learning how to play acoustic instruments than worrying about AI making electronic musicians obsolete.

1 Like