Aframe electrorganic frame drum

BTW the Wavedrum stores its data on a microSD card which you can easily get to if you open it up, and you can read it on a computer and change the samples used as backing loops! This in theory makes an editor possible…

2 Likes

Didn’t know this! Very cool, but could be a process.

You can get the details at the Korg user forums (Wavedrum subforum). Changing the samples is easy.

1 Like

Looking for an alternative to the aframe (due to its pricepoint) google brought me back here to this trustworthy forum.

:thup: for this thread.

What are you leaning towards as an alternative?

1 Like

After some additional research actually none. How the Aframe uses a multitude of sensor inputs to control its internal synth engine is quite unique. From the manual it looks like it uses at least 2 pressure sensors and 2 contact mics.

What’s a little bit strange is that the Aframe doesn’t come with a full-featured editor app, but ATC provides only 2 (unsupported) demo programs (+sourcecode). Well, better than nothing, but nevertheless underwhelming.

2 Likes

I just noticed this, and I’m with anything that provides full-range dynamic response, but can be adjusted to minimize the kinetic energy required to play it expressively. In other words, I don’t want a percussion instrument that requires me to strike it hard, like a real drummer so that I can minimize ambient acoustic noise and play it at 3am without being yelled at and also for best technique. It’s expensive, but not crazy expensive. One major shortcoming is that it’s monophonic: despite the wide range of tones you can produce from a single patch, I’d like the option of at least two radically different tones (bass/snare), and even a third one (hat or ride).

I used to have a Korg Wavedrum, which was great, but a lot of ambient noise. It was duophonic, but I really missed having a third voice (hat or ride). The rim was kind of another voice, but not ideal to play with bare hands, requiring a lot of kinetic energy. I also found the Wavedrum to only be ergonomic to play when mounted in a snare stand, which then takes up a lot of space. This aFrame can sit on your lap, though it looks like it always requires two hands and half your body to keep it steady. My ZAP2 model Zendrum, on the other hand, puts 25 MIDI triggers under one hand sitting on my lap or a table top, leaving the other hand free to play something else. Zendrum, though, being triggers-only can do expressive modulation as well as the aFrame. Still, there’s something fundamental about a frame drum when it comes to percussion so that I think I’m likely to pick one of these up soon.

1 Like

…wow…can’t aford it at the moment…but once i do again, i’ll pick it right away…
thanx for that tip…i had no idea…

1 Like

I’ve finally taken delivery. It meets all expectations: playing feel and electro-acoustic response are all there: it sings. I guess the expected downside is that even though you can make it sing and groove via all the subtleties possible with any given patch, it can’t substitute for a more ordinary collection of drum kit multisamples (kick, snare, hat, and cymbals) when that’s what you need. It’s also not a MIDI controller, so you can’t use it to play a percussion plugin like BFD3.

It’s too bad about the price, or else a lot of people who wouldn’t normally bother with something like this might look into it. If you’re not serious keyboardist, I expect you get tired of plunking around on a keyboard or playing ambient pad patches, and the buttons and minipads on sound modules aren’t as much fun or as functional as banging and scraping away on this thing. At the price, though, I think it offers too little functionality unless you’re way into playing percussion. If it were $300, I think a lot of people would try it and like it.

1 Like

And now for something completely different:

1 Like

Here’s a particularly good promotional demo. Why isn’t this thing more popular?

1 Like

That thing does look very very cool. i want one.

Here’s a nice extended demo:

2 Likes

my editor on mc os doesn´t work…
anyone know what to do?

i start the editor, start aframe and the editor wont connect to the editor via usb…
sad ;/