Affordable gear rotation

It seems like many of us like to experience and utilize a variety of instruments.
I think this is illustrated by the way people rotate different instruments in and out of their possession and that the best way to research an instrument is to play it physically in store or at home.
I hear a lot of people talking about GAS and instruments they could never sell; I’m seeing myself and a lot of people creating rules and goals based around which instruments we own or want to own.
ngny, one in one out, only buys used etc.

I was hoping to start a discussion about purposefully rotating gear in an economically mindful way.
I’ve realized that, after wanting a cohesive system that can work as a unit, I want a studio that changes in an affordable fashion.

I’d like to share some trends i’ve noticed in the used instrument market (in the US) and ask you all to contribute what you have noticed.

1. Used gear is cheaper and provides all the same functions.

2. Following the release of an instrument, there is a predictable price pattern on the used market.

• a month after release their will be people selling the instrument on the used market for a great
      discount. This coincides with the first negative comments that surface from actual users of the
      instrument.
    • There is also opportunity to sell sold out or limited quantity instruments at a profit.
  3. There are more beneficial times of year to buy or sell instruments.

• recently noticed that between new years and march is an amazing time to buy.
    • september to mid mid december seems like a good time to sell.
    • Tax returns in the US play a role too
  4. People place different values on instruments based on selling and trading.

• Two separate times I bought an A4 for very little, traded it for a DFAM, then sold the DFAM for a profit.
  5. Module version of synthesizers are easier to sell. They take up less space.

The goal of a rotating studio (in my specific case) is to have my bases covered with a sampler and the analog four (inputs, cv, midi, effects), and then to have an instrument or two that i am trying out.
I purchase the instrument during a dip in price, and then sell it when the prices hike up again. Best case scenario, I use the instrument as long as i like, then maybe turn a ~$50 profit. Worst case scenario, I’m down a hundred dollars after using the instrument for multiple months.
Ensuring that you land at or above even seems like a doable task. When you have your money back, you are free to try something else out!

What do you all think? Criticisms?

For the purpose of this discussion would mind offering an operational definition of the term sustainably? I’m not sure if you are desiring a discussion on the personal fiscal relationships of gear purchases and sales when you refer to sustainability, or something else?

While I am open to purchasing used gear in general, I personally find that a seller’s asking price has to fall below a certain threshold to make the value a balance for a purchase to be a reasonable offset for a loss of intangibles (warranty availability, relationship with a retailer in addressing potential issues, retailer perks such as rewards programs, return windows, and discounts, etc.). If I’m inheriting a risk that requires international shipping for service, with shipping and duties falling fully upon me as the owner, and an item is 15 to 20% percent below retail, I could be better off buying new with a retailer who may honor a 10% discount just for asking, may extend my warranty period, and allow me to ship an instrument domestically to the retailer if service is required. If a seller presents an asking price, plus shipping (which may often be included through a retailer), then asks the buyer to cover PayPal fees if goods and services is desired (another intangible included in a retail purchase) that pushes an item up in cost and down in value versus purchasing new, and I need to be conscious of where the line is drawn for the purchase to make sense for me. I also have to be conscious of items a seller may consider value added from their perspective, but may not represent an add to me. A decksaver used solely as a dust cover isn’t something I would purchase, and it’s inclusion and addition to the price of a used item isn’t necessarily a gain for me personally as an example.

I also tend to research devices nearly obsessively before making a purchase, have a clear idea of what my expectations are for bringing new gear into the fold, rotate items in and out of usage, and am less likely to sell something in most cases after purchasing. If a small manufacturer has something that I feel deserves support it very well could motivate me to purchase new (and direct) in an effort to offer my support. In purchasing with the intent of long term use I’m also comfortable passing by equipment that many not have longevity in its design despite appealing functionality, as well as saving and waiting when it seems appropriate.

That is about the time I have right now, but yes maximizing value tends to be a good course of action when one take time to consider value from multiple angles.

Interesting topic. I’m looking forward to seeing where it leads.

2 Likes

8 posts were merged into an existing topic: Change in reported tax liability for US sellers

Only thing I’ve learned is to not sell stuff unless you’re absolutely sure you’re done with it.

I’ve got a number of machines boxed up. As updates happen and my production techniques change, I go in my closet and it’s like walking into a store.

A few years ago I was buying and selling lots of gear, and not turning any kind of profit. Learned a big lesson

Just keep the gear. You’re going to want to use it later and you’ll save yourself a lot of hassle/haggle and money

I always cringe a little when someone online says, “I’ll just sell it later and get my money back”.

No. No you won’t get your money back. Especially if you’re anxious to sell to finance another piece of gear.

3 Likes

Towards more sustainable options, i’d like to see more sharing opportunities, without the necessity of buying and selling.

Large cities have smaller studio rentals, and equipment rentals, but i’m thinking of things beyond that.

As for instance, some public libraries, even in smaller cities in the US, have electronic music equipment to borrow in their library of things. The same exists with many schools.

I’d also would like to see more smaller groups cooperatively collecting and sharing a base of equipment. Much better to have a shared base of less commonly used equipment, than for each individual owning it on their own, or to cycle around buying and selling. There are issues to resolve with this sort of cooperation, but that still would be doable.

7 Likes

Here’s the catalog from the Ann Arbor Public Library for musical devices.

From Moog Grandmother through MicroFreak to ARP Odyssey, etc, through many pages of gear.

4 Likes

here’s one example. this is at the NYU school of IDM. so if you wanted to, you could make IDM in the IDM’s school’s music lab :crazy_face:

this is also a fantastic resource for learning about these synths, by the way. the Serge info is some of the best I’ve seen.

2 Likes

wow! thanks for the heads up. smaller gear and a lot of euro modules are still on the table.

right, this has happened to me before, but i’ve also profited. I’m hoping we can all share ideas that can result in habits that allow a usable studio with a variety of gear, like you have! I would feel bad leaving things in my closet, not being used… but i don’t have very much disposable income at the moment.

that is so awesome, I wonder what types of resources the seattle library has…

I’ve seen a few craigslist ads of people wanting to share a studio and equipment. sounds cool to me.

this is 90% of my transactions.

i didn’t realize when writing it this morning, but this model might really only be feasible in larger cities with the right kind of communities

I’ve started a thread for the tax discussion, so we can stay on-topic.

I like the Affordable Gear Rotation topic and it is getting swamped.

3 Likes

thank you. I sincerely apologize for bringing it up or veering off topic. it’s semi relevant to the discussion but a separate thread is best. anyway, sorry about that.

1 Like