So I’ve came to the conclusion that my current audio interface may be lacking in a few areas and I’m thinking of going to something more suitable. I’ve done some research over the past few weeks and think that a traditional 1U rack interface may be just what I need. Here’s the skinny…
My current audio interface is the Yamaha MG10XU, which at the moment does the job, but I’ll list what I like and what I don’t.
- Simple to use as it’s a traditional mixer
- Aux can be routed to my Quadraverb as send effect
- Sounds good enough for my needs
- Easy to record overdubs or directly from computer audio
- Can jam all my gear without a computer
- Recording latency is up to my standard
- Noise floor seems fine
- Small form factor
- Can’t multitrack record, only can record stereo mix
- On board fx are not so great in my opinion
- Only room for one headphone output
- Aux send takes up 2 channels (quadraverb stereo)
- usb recording the 2 bus doesn’t allow you to use channels 9/10
So at this point the biggest deal breaker is the lack of multitracking capability. I’d like something that ideally sounds as good or better than the Yamaha, has the same standard latency, has set and forgot routing, has all mix channel levels on the front panel, usb, and still allows me to jam without the computer on. Midi integration is not extremely important, as my Digitone acts as a midi brain with a quadra thru going to the other gear to keep it in time.
I’ll be using this with a Novation BS2, Virus C, Reface CS, Digitone, Machinedrum, TT-606, and Alesis Quadraverb. Currently I get 8 input channels on the Yamaha, so some gear runs through others, not a biggie.
Been looking at the Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 gen 2 but not opposed to other units (tascam, motu, roland, etc…) budget is $300 - $400. Thanks Nauts!