Advice on Mac/PC

No problem VST is for Mac and PC
No AU plugs on PC though

Well for me it has been a pleasant ride so far. After initially setting it up i never ran into major problems with it. It is running stable for 2 years now.
My build is working 100% and that is probably due to the fact that i copied one of the ā€œgolden buildsā€ in terms of hardware setup. After setting up the hardware, making the correct settings in bios and installing the right drivers and system definitions i did not have much work maintaining the system. In the beginning there were some issues regarding audio but those turned out to be OSX related at that time and had nothing to do with the hack.
What you can not do yet is to use filevault on your startup disk. Do not try!
On other disks itĀ“s no problem at all. Another thing to consider is the fact that you want to use a keyboard while booting sometimes and this is not gonna work with a bluetooth keyboard. On a running system you can of course use bluetooth.
I never experienced anything like deleted partitions or graphics bugs. But i do not run a graphics card but just the internal graphics. I donĀ“t game or anything so i donĀ“t have any experience with that.
I run CCC and always have bootable backups of my system disk. So should i run into any trouble i just boot from another disk and continue working. But it has never come to this.
Another thing to consider is that if you want to run Windows and OSX on the machine then you need to do that from two different disks, partitions will not do in this case.
Apart from those i canĀ“t thing of any restrictions.
To sum this up, if you have basic understanding of operating systems, know what bios is and know your way around the internet to get some help, you are good to go.
This said, you might run into trouble at some point, so if you want a totally worry free system then you should probably just get a mac.
Check out some of the golden builds https://www.tonymacx86.com/forums/golden-builds.87/ and get some inspiration / guidance over there.

Yeah a true plankspanker whos over his head in technology! Mind you im out of my depth with a calculator let alone hardware/software setups ā€¦
I went out and purchased a number of sugargliders, hamsters, guinea pogs and other assorted small rodents and mammals, and have now placed them in a box beside my setup. Anytime i feel angry now i just pop my hand into the box and get a plush rodent cuddle that immediately has a calming effect. Who can be angry when a sugarglider entwines its tail around your fingers right??!! Best addition to my studio ive made. Heh heh!!
The pedal looks very nice and im gassing for it - must say i have a soft spot for Elektron gear.
TR 8 - yeah its true to say i was probably expecting too much and misunderstood its purpose - its a hardware unit that i bought predominantly to twiddle knobs with on the fly and have fun improvising on - i have loads of VSTā€™s that will do what i want them to do that i can setup with individual outs in my DAW. Im a drum machine/VST junky!! Now if only i could get the go ahead for a Tempestā€¦
Im looking maybe at a self build PC. Yeah i know im setting myself up for a fall but im liking the idea of a challenge and as has been previously mentioned theres lots of advice and guidance on the interweb. :slight_smile:

Well, we canā€™t really help you with the TR-8 if you donā€™t post more details. You say you canā€™t the individual outputs right?

Yeah but i think its because i can only do that if i choose it as the interface into Ableton. Im going into a mixer with all my external synths/boxes and stereo out of the mixer into a little Saffire interface so i need that obviously.
My plan was to run TR8, TB3, AK, AR and maschine into PC via Overhub and take individual audio outs from each via the USB.
Now ive taken stereo outs from the output jacks of each - TB3 into TR8 into AK inputs, AK into mixer.
And AR output pair into mixer straight. Maschine audio goes via USB.
I have all those boxes midi synced via USB and Ableton as the master, i have my OT, P6 and a Ipad control hub synced via Din Midi to Ableton via Saffire. All of these three go into the mixer. So i have the majority of my gear being input via a stereo out from the mixer.
It all works to a point. Im muddling through cos im getting sound out ( obviously through the jack outs ) but i cant get OB to work despite reading the manual and watching various You Tube videos. On either Analog device.
I think maybe ill buy a digital mixer at some point to take individual outs and get rid of the interface.
Phew. If anyone understands thatā€¦

Look up aggregate device!

Buying a decently sized digital mixer would probably save you a lot of trouble. Sure, there is the option with the aggregate device, but in my experience they donĀ“t run nearly as stable as they should. Every device has to run on the same samplerate and even after setting one up properly you might have to open your inputs/outputs every time you start ableton. Change anything in your setup and your looking for trouble.
My Tr-8 had to go because of exactly that reason.
OB is much better compared to an aggregate. You could always run OB side by side with your mixer, should you need more I/O.
If your still in trouble setting OB up, please specify where you are stuck at.
Before getting another drum machine, i would definitely recommend you to get a mixer. You are not gonna have a lot of fun with another machine that will not integrate in your setup anyways.
You rodent petting zoo idea had me cracking up pretty bad :smile:
I think everyone should have oneā€¦

Iā€™m on the fence too, for quiet a while already.
I need to decide within a week because I need a laptop/MacBook for a small live performance.
My budget is 1500-1600 euroā€™s.
Option 1: brand new Dell XPS 15, I7 quad 2.8 GHz, 8 gb ram (extensible tot 32gb), 256 SSD: 1599ā‚¬
Option 2: MacBook pro, early 2014, I7 quad 2.7 GHz, 16 gb ram, 256 SSD: 1200ā‚¬
Option 3: look for a cheaper MacBook pro, 2012, customizable

Ik would like to use Ableton Live with an apc 40 mk2, synced with my Analog Rytm. This will be my modest starting setup. :slight_smile: Maybe Iā€™ll need to purchase an aditional Erm-multiclock when I need to but Iā€™ll try without in advance.

Any tips welcome and highly appreciated. :blush:

The early 2014 MBP seems like a good deal for the price. I certainly wouldnā€™t get the new ones at current prices.

I donā€™t think there will be a big difference in performance with the XPS.