Advice on changing careers, programming

Hey, thanks a lot for such a comprehensive response. I suspected that it would be a lot more difficult part-time, i’ll consider whether to suck it up for a while.

This actually sounds like fun. I’ve enjoyed doing similar things, and I don’t think i’m too bad at it either. What would you recommend looking at to get a feel for this?

Quick job search turned up a whole lot of senior devs and test engineers, a couple full stack, and quite a few platform engineers which I have no idea what that means. The sheer amount of tools mentioned that I have no idea about is pretty intimidating.

1 Like

it’s all intimidating, i spend most my days at work researching / reading documentation / following other people’s guides / scratching my head / pulling my hair out / then finally having an ah ha moment and it still not work, all-in-all it’s actually pretty stressful sometimes, but also novel and exciting. i’ve never had a job where i wanted to keep working after my 8hrs because i was getting off on making progress and making things work.

if that all sounds cool to you, look for any jobs with devops engineer, site reliability engineer, cloud engineer, or platform engineer then carefully read the job description as every title / role is something different depending on the company. for example, an sre is a role that google coined a while back where you’re expected to solve infrastructure problems with software engineering solutions, so in a true sre role you should be doing about 50% operations (setting up monitoring alerts, building ci/cd pipelines, etc) and 50% development work (building internal tooling to automate / make your life and your devs’ lives easier). a lot of devops-esque jobs may have you doing all ops work or very little, just depends.

anyhoo, look into some blogs that talk about some of those roles (e.g. devops engineer, sre etc) and see if that’s something you’d fancy doing. g’luck!

2 Likes

That’s also my main question. I want to work no more than 24 hours a week average so i have a lot of spare time for friends, music, bicycling and walking in nature, reading nice books, and just the random play (not only music).

The last 15 years i answered that question this way: make websites and webapps for clients, so mainly PHP, CSS, MySQL & JavaScript and all the modern tools and libraries that come with these. That gives me a lot more freedom than every job i could find which are mostly fulltime jobs or allmost fulltime.

Downside is less money and less deep into programming (which i like). Although i made myself a super friendly and flexible CMS and i am developing an iOS musical app at the moment, just for fun to learn new skills and who knows some future opportunities.

1 Like

I’m glad I stumbled upon this thread. I skimmed for the most part, but caught the gist of the OP’s journey. Congrats @zfigz on your career change. I’m in a technical field (Engineering) but I have had thoughts of moving into a Data Science / Data Analysis field. I started taking online courses, but that has gone in bursts over the past 5 years, so my skill-building has been incongruous. Lately, with working from home (and the general workload being diminished at the moment), I’ve been thinking about diving back into online learning. This thread has definitely helped motivate me that it’s not unreasonable. Just have to build the portfolio, I guess. My first step is to start applying these analytics skills to my current day job, and maybe that can lead to a role that I find more interesting.

3 Likes