Advice/Ideas for Rytm Arpeggiator

Hey there - I’ve been using my OP1 quite a bit lately and one of my favorite things about it is using the Arpeggiator sequencer on drum tracks. It’s very intuitive and quick to hold down a few keys, each representing a different drum sample, and have them play back across octaves, with different time signature divisions, with random or more intentional up/down configurations, etc. I find myself making really interesting rhythms I wouldn’t otherwise come up with by finger drumming or punching notes in on a sequencer.

So. I’m telling you all of this because I would really like to have a similar functionality on the Rytm. Of course it would be awesome if Elektron brought out an arp in an update, but in the meantime, has anyone found a workaround for this? I have a Macbook with Reaper but I’m a beginner when it comes to working the DAW and I’m not sure where to get started. I guess I would need a midi arp that outputs each note of the arp on a predefined, different midi channel. An affordable hardware or plugin solution would be great.

Does such a thing exist? Any other ideas to get something like this working on the Rytm? Do you have any similar tricks to add some wonder and spontaneity to your Rytm pattern creation?

2 Likes

I believe the STROM and Collider apps for the iPad have randomize functions that may achieve your desired results.

1 Like

not only that way …

1 Like

Maybe long slow arp and use retrigs

1 Like

Beatstep pro is a hardware solution for adding arpeggiator action to your Rytm.

I don’t know much about Reaper, but I imagine it’s got a function similar to ableton’s midi arpeggiator which can be used to sequence/arp. external gear

1 Like

What about loading a drum sample chain, setting the lfo to randomize the start position and use retriggering?
You could even layers of perf pads to add modulation.

2 Likes

If you have a mac mainstage 3 is a great deal and has all sorts of instrument, fx, and midi plugins including a midi arp.

It’s basically Logic but meant for live playing and is a really powerful and customizable platform for $30, which is a ridiculously low price for what you get.

I used to use it as my main brain for performance but eventually replaced it with an Octatrack. I think about using again though, it’s a nice program.

1 Like

There is this magic thing on the low side of your keyboard, way down to the left. Keys pressed will trigger your Analog Rytm sounds 1 to 12 on the same midi channel. Just like most software drum machines.

1 Like

You tried using the OP-1 arpeggiator on the Rytm? I use a Kenton Midi USB Host or route the midi through Ableton. Think its -2 octave on the OP-1 that triggers all the Rytm sounds on the same midi channel.

1 Like

So many great ideas here! Thank you, everyone :thup:
I bought Strom last night and have been seriously enjoying the crap out of it. The pattern generator is not quite what I was looking for but it’s a step in the right direction. Super cool. Not to mention the Function (Control All!) and the Kit Randomize functionalities. It’s a great starting point for pulling sounds out of the machine I wouldn’t otherwise create on my own.
I’ve got lots of things to try now. You guys da best.

2 Likes