Advice - How would you set this lot up for live?

If I were to use the 4 midi outs of the MPCX I’d probably go with…

A4 MKII > AR MKII > Dreadbox Medusa > Behringer TD-3

That’d make for some alright sound IMO

IMHO. Finding out the best connections is a personal thing and a big part of the fun of having hardware.
Good luck and enjoy :thup:

5 Likes

Personally I would start small with 2 or 3 of your boxes. Get all your MIDI routing working and your audio routed through your mixer or audio interface.
Then make some music with your small setup and adjust things if needed.
Only then would I start bringing in more instruments, one at a time.
Your setup will evolve into something that you know inside out if you take it slowly.
I find adding too much new kit at once can be overwhelming.

2 Likes

Read what I wrote above… I said I wasn’t taking any gear on any stage I said I wanted it all in one place in the home studio to have whatever I chose to jam with whether it be 2/3 or more synths I can swap out at any time and as I get better then add more.

Yep agree :+1:

For a live gig I would take A4, AR, not more.
Keep it simple, really. If you need to ask that questions you should do some jamming first to know what you want.

edit: oh, at home… sry ignore me please…

It’s OK I should have put that in the first post too :flushed:
Anyways all I want is everything hooked up so I can just play either or all at will.
I’ll figure it out in the new year :+1:

Do you want to sequence everything from the MPCX (something I would recommend against), or do you want to sequence on each device as much as possible (something I would recommend because it’s more fun and kinda the point of a hardware setup)?

Assuming the latter, I’d keep things as simple as possible.

If you want the MPCX to be the master, I’d use one of its MIDI OUTs as the clock master, hook the Kenton Midi Thru 12 up to that, and hook all the other gear up to the Kenton Midi Thru 12 so that everything gets the same clock signal and responds to the same start and stop messages from the MPCX.

Since you mention Ableton Live, I’m assuming you own an audio interface with sufficient inputs to hook everything up and keep everything hooked up and use Ableton Live for effects and as your mixer.

If that’s the case, I’d connect the FaderFoxes to your computer over USB only and use them exclusively to control the channels and effects in Ableton Live. Resist the temptation to also use FaderFoxes to remote control your hardware (or, at least initially) to keep things straightforward.

I’d create a template in Ableton Live with the channels, remote control, and effects set up how I plan to use it. You can then bring this up quickly when you plan to jam on your hardware and go without having to do any setup in advance.

As an aside, I would also make sure there’s an easy way to send audio back out from the computer to the MPCX so that you can easily sample stuff without having to change connections.

4 Likes

I have a behringer umc1820 and Ada8200 to connect to the computer.
I would prefer the MPCX as trigger only for the Elektrons but yeah the midi thru 12 would be the way I’d do it like you said.

Ah now you mentioned the FaderFoxes my plan was to use my software fx from live to use on the hardware synths assigned… Would this work?

Absolutely. And route your audio to the imterface and create send busses which sum into one input of the mpc. Easy samplimg from each device.

Rhings said about the template: that will save a lot of grey hair, lifetime and frustration.

1 Like

Sure, why not? There will be a little latency compared to using a hardware mixer and outboard effects, but assuming you have a decently powerful computer that shouldn’t be an issue.

You might want to keep an eye on the latency introduced by insert effects and avoid effect chains that end up adding too much latency.

I’d never use the MPCX to sequence my Elektrons I only want to trigger sequnces, too much fun to be had tweaking the synths themselves from the interfaces or the FaderFoxes.
I’ll just set things up trial and error to see what works for me. I’d like to basically trigger everything I hook up and sample back in to the MPCX every now and then. So many ways to do this but as I said trial and error

I have a late 2013 mac book pro i7 here it’s pretty fast I only have Live 10 suite and FX plugins on iLok installed (no soft synths) except what comes with Live. As I said I have the UMC1820 and ADA8200 as my interface. Cheap I know but they do the job ok

Midi Chains with more than 3 Units in a row could introduce some Midi Clock Sync issues. Better spread the Midi Signals via a Midi Router. Bome BomeBox e.g. or Midi Solutions Midi Router to Split a Clock from one IN to two Outs. There are also bigger Solutions from Motu e.g. with more INs and more OUTs.

The MPX has four midi outs so you don’t really need a midi router. I would spread all your devices equally across the four midi outputs. I’ll probably pair a drum to a mono synth per output. For example MPCX midi out 1 > Analog Rytm > Monostation, midi out two > RD-8 > TD-3. Then pair your two polys to you remaining monos. For example A4>MS. Your two midi controller can control Ableton or even the MPC can control Ableton in Ableton mode. You shouldn’t have any real Issues with latency issues as long as you stay away from using internal synths in Ableton, the effects will work fine.

2 Likes

Ok I’ve finally got setup with fewer synths that I can play with here. It’s a pain setting stuff up to record in to Ableton but bit by bit it’s coming together.
I can only use the MX12 at the moment as I just ordered a cat6 extension to hook both together, so far so good… Only Medusa playing up grrr… anyways here is my little setup.

3 Likes

Yeah that’s what I just did as you were typing lol, thanks for the advice mate I really appreciate all input here :slight_smile:

1 Like

My advice would be to build shelves so that you can get a more compact setup (see my own here).

Beware, though: it makes some room for mer :smiley:

1 Like

Your setup is fantastic, yeah shelves may be the answer for me, I’ll do some measuring up later this week… :+1: