Advice for a beginner (Drone/Dark ambient/Exp)

It has quite good notes sequencer, but I found it a bit too complex to use (as MPC in general). You need to try maybe the MPC software first for DAW to test if it fits your workflow

A bunch of insights from a bunch of people with different approaches - food for thought maybe?

http://www.thisisdarkness.com/2018/03/17/dark-ambient-101/

9 Likes

Loved how they covered such a huge swath of workflows and concept without being overly prescriptive.

3 Likes

Very cool article!

1 Like

This is a superb article - really enjoying reading a range of minds speaking in their own styles about their approaches. It’s relevant for any artist in any medium - many insights that apply broadly to all art are to be found - for example:

“The quality of dark ambient is not a matter of the tool you’ll use, but is based on emotion and inspiration. For me, good dark ambient is based on the ability to turn emotions and situations into sound.”

It’s inspiring me reading about these artists - thanks for the link @rex_mundii!

4 Likes

It is a very good article indeed, which shows that it does not matter the material.I have read it in the past.

2 Likes

My advice for a beginner - stick with it!

Also, get a digitakt

1 Like

Listened and I’d say Waldorf Blofeld is a match … some sounds … Waldorf Blofeld , Atmospheric Pads & Soundscapes - YouTube & [demo] Best of Blofeld Sounds - YouTube

25 voices, 16 (!) part multitimbral, … so you can make complete tracks just with that thing

5 Likes

Debatable question. For the old school approach maybe yes.
For more modern production and especially live performance could be tight a bit.

(I use hardware only to build new loops and textures, i.e. building blocks of the composition…)

1 Like

Couple of my best tracks were pairing Octa with Blofeld in multimode.

3 Likes

Except for the formatting, which is almost sufficiently rage-inducing to put me in the correct mind space for making good dark ambient.

:imp:

Edit: printing to PDF solves the formatting problem.

4 Likes

You have the rack or the keyboard ?

thank you i will look into that !

Probably you meant the desktop, yes. (I would not mind the keyboard as well)

OP, this is the spirit. i would also add a contact mic and some chains/bits of metal that you find lying around. stuff like syntakt can be good, but you need to be able to step out of elektronland and get a bit raw and mystical with it.

2 Likes

I noticed this example a bit too late, sorry. Previously I was referring to something classical like Lustmord - Heresy.

From what I’m hearing there - the good quality reverb like Eventide or Ventris is needed.
The rest of the sound can be achieved by recent Korg offerings like Wavestate (or Modwave).

I contradict here a bit to myself regarding romplers, but to have such quality strings, pads and drums on hardware on a budget there are not that many options. These Korgs have rich set of ROM waves with classical pads and strings and a lot of flexibility. In constrast, Blofeld has more digital flavor and limited set of samples (paid additionally). And people swear about it’s reverb effect.

2 Likes

No problem.

Yess I also think that a high end reverb is necessary.
Ok i will check these korg synth.

Thanks !

Depends on your workflow, elektron synths do generally include reverb, or you could play into something like Valhalla VintageVerb: Vintage Reverb Plugin | Valhalla DSP Plugin in your DAW.

Thinking about Eventide Space maybe, I prefer hardware reverbs if you have any advice…@thermionic

1 Like