Adobe Audition… poo or really poo?

Me too! Try OcenAudio, it’s not the same but depending on what you miss about Cool Edit, it might do the job…

Well… I do (on windows 10). Works perfect.

1 Like

For another alternative suggestion, on macOS, try DSP Quattro. I use it for batch recording and cleaning up vinyl to MP3. It’s also a multi-track recorder, CD layout tool and good for mastering multiple tracks as one programme. It’s also in similar Cool Edit/Audition colours.

http://www.dsp-quattro.com/

1 Like

If it’s part of the subscription, then why not.
You don’t mention what you’re doing with it: tracking, topping & tailing, batch processing.
I’ve used it only for audio with video production a few years ago and it worked as expected.
For less complex stuff (topping & tailing, rate conversion) I’m using wavosaur (I hope that’s still available) and SoundForge on PC both of which are fast.

Damn, giving it a try now!

(Also what is up with Steinberg’s website… They force you to sign up to their newsletter to get access to trial versions, then you have to use some stupid downloader. The state of software is sad.)

True. Guess I meant good evolution, haha! :slight_smile:
How about refinement? That’s better.

I think Ableton has been quite good with updates to Live; as in not changing or adding too much but focusing on refining what is already there. (However I have a lot of gripes with 11…)

3 Likes

Now they have to develop on two operating systems, I think that was a big mistake, less efficient in the dev now. The best period remains the one with only Philippe Goutier (except for the master section), the software was the “vision” of a single mind.

Joy on you and your work brother wavelabonaut …

Steinberg has always had a somewhat obsolete idea of digital law management, even if painful, it’s part of their retro charm.
(My license usb stick is folded in half and holds with tape, replacing it would make me sad.) :upside_down_face:

I’m trying to make better commercials and music videos. I’ve made some for community events, comedy shows, and random things, but I want to get better.

I have both mac (MacBook air 11…2013 so yeah) and pc, but I’ve been using iMovie and Garageband for YEARS. My PC has a lot more power though so I’m trying to use it more.

When I tell people that I use GB or iMovie I seem to lose any and all credibility fast. I can see it in their eyes. So, I really want to step it up. Have no idea where to start other than I need to make really good sound… which I have no idea how to mix sound properly for video. I can mix sound great on a Bastl Dude (cough).

I got an Adobe subscription on the cheap, but now I feel like part of the machine that destroys and eats everything good in the subject of art and I apologize for that. I had no idea. But, I have it and would rather use it than not because cognitive dissonance runs deep in my family tree.

there is hope:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMWNvwLiXIQ

1 Like

On the video side, Blackmagic Design’s Davinci Resolve is where a lot of the high end of the industry is moving (over Premiere Pro). There’s a free version, and even the full commercial license is incredibly cheap — $200 one time — because the company makes its money on cameras and editing hardware. It includes a bunch of video-oriented audio editing features, although it may not do what you want for a more music-oriented DAW. That plus Reaper should put you in a solid place, though.

2 Likes

Yea very impressive free piece of software. I’m not at all experienced in video editing so I do find it a bit non-obvious but for a complex piece of software the UI seems quite good and it’s obviously super powerful.

I’d possibly be one of those people who’d give you that look BUT it’s the end result that actually matters…so you should be telling me to F*** off and let your content do the talking.
If you can get audition to work for you then that’s what matters. Adobe subscriptions are the go-to for many creative professionals - so I don’t see any shame in that.

It’s still not clear, to me at least, what you’re trying to do. If you’re just adding overdubs/sound to video, I expect that there are sufficient tools in Premiere once you’ve got a mix in GarBand?

Probably worth having a long hard think if you’re considering Audacity, given the recent change to their T&Cs (or waiting 'til there are workaround builds)

it’s awesome. but I only use it for cutting up samples, arranging stuff for mixes or just finalizing stuff. it offers some things that Logic does not, and I used to using.
I dont do any recording with it tho.

Audition :+1:t6:

1 Like