ADHD and hardware vs DAWs

I used to think hardware helped with ADHD but honestly what helps me the most is sitting down and finishing songs. The best way for me to do that has been laptop and DAW. I still use some hardware, but that is more of a sound design, sample fodder move.

Once I force myself to focus on the track, I get dialed into it and am able to focus all that hyper energy into the arrangement. It’s something I trained myself to do over time.

2 Likes

I find, without fail, that with any hardware purchase, there will then be an huge lull of interest in it when it arrives. By the time I have it, I will have nearly completed Youtube on whatever device is… Hyperfocused the hell out of it. All the dopamine was in the research, and now I have to find a way to build a habit of using it.

I’m learning the trick is to accept that and not sell it and move on before I have got out of that stage.

6 Likes

I’m on the edge of my seat! :grimacing:

Sage advice.

I struggle with abandoning things in arrangement - I need to be more methodical and focused on this area!

1 Like

i have adhd as well can be extremely locked into my DAW

i feel the more gear is in front of me the more distracted i am. however o do practice digital minimalism and resort to just a hand ful of samples and plugins.

2 Likes

Yes, I’ve been significantly culling my samples and VSTs.

It make just so much more sense to only have sounds that you are likely to use, or that are stylistically appropriate for your general focus.

1 Like