Add a bit of pumping to the mix?

Hi. I sometimes want to add a litte bit of side chain pumping to the mix (dont we all…) if i got a fmr rnc 1773 compressor. How would i connect it?
Today i have my ak connected to my ar and that goes into my OT. On the other two OT input channels I have my A4.
Can the kick drum be taken out both as a separate track and go out on the stereo output?
Do I need a mixer also? How would you set it up?

FMR RNC and RNLA both use a side chain FX LOOP implementation, they do not use a side chain KEY INPUT.

There is a very important distinction between the two implementations.

One allows you to filter or effect the control signal that is coming through the stereo input in interesting ways (FX LOOP) through the use of a send/return insert cable., the other (KEY INPUT) allows you to input external signals such as kick or bass to make the compressor react differently.
RNC/RNLA both use the former.

If you want a compressor with side chain KEY input, look elsewhere.

AdamJay, could you please clarify this a bit more? I happen to have a RNC 1773 and I want to use it as a side chain compressor with the Rytm. I tried to send the AR’s BD/BT out into the RNC SC in but I couldn’t get it work.

Interestingly if I send my A4’s CV out (using the ring of the TRS) to the RNC’s sidechain input, it triggers the side chain properly and the CV track works like a dummy side chain track. I’m wondering whether I could manage to route the AR’s BD out on a way that it gives a similar trigger on the ring. Do you think it is possible, guys?

1 Like