Adam Jay - Live Techno (MS+OT) - March 2020 + CDM feature

75 minute live techno set.

Model:Samples, Octatrack MK1, Alesis MicroLimiter, MIDI Fighter Twister.

CDM feature:

73 Likes

Dun dunna dunnnnn! Aw yeah, can’t wait to dig into this. This will keep my company at work tomorrow. :fist_right::fist_left:

1 Like

Schönes Frühstück! :smiley:

:bacon: :fried_egg::speaker: :loud_sound:

Just skimmed and it’s sounds exceptional

Will listen in full after work…congrats…

2 Likes

Very nice ! Well done :ok_hand:

I like it. Nice combination of raw squashed hardware-liveset sound and entertaining variety.

1 Like

Sick man

deadly :handshake:

Banging

1 Like

Oh yeah. Nice Adam! For me this is your best work yet. Bf tsh bf tsh bf tsh

1 Like

Beautiful! Would love to know more about how things are setup on your OT!

Cheers everyone!

OT is MIDI sync master, sending clock to MS.

MS sends audio through MicroLimiter and into OT AB,
T3 THRU is used for MS with Compressor and EQ as in the two FX slots.
T7 is a FLEX track, recording/looping/mangling the T3/MS audio. T7 FX are EQ and LoFi.

T5 is another FLEX with just some other loops previously recorded from MS with heavy EQ filtering and Dark Reverb in the the two FX slots. Resequenced on T5 on the fly, as needed.

T8 Master has a dark reverb that I tweak during some of the dubbier bits.

the Twister goes through a USB MIDI host box to convert USB-A to 5 PIN DIN MIDI, this controls OT levels, EQs, reverb sends, allowing me to creatively mix between the thru and flex tracks, without any paging around on the OT.

8 Likes

Aweome! So to be clear, you only use one pattern in that setup, right?

1 OT pattern/part.
this set had around 14-15 MS patterns.

2 Likes

Ok, thanks for the answers!

It’s beaufiful work, the OT/MS combo for live already seemed tempting but you might have just sold me on it!

Well executed.

So is everything here looped audio files as opposed to on-the-spot synthesis? Is the MS the only thing generating sound and the OT is basically just a mixer/remixer? How do you go about live mangling recordings from the MS? Is it mangling previous recordings?

Single shot .wavs, sequenced and processed by MS. Heavy filter LFO, lock trigs, conditionals/fills…

MS is 95% of what you are hearing. Each tune is a single pattern, played back live.
The other 5% are previously recorded MS loops in a single flex track, just sequenced on the fly as a backing percussion layer, usually around transitions. I choose them on the fly from the flex list.

Slicing the flex recorder buffer. Resetting trigs. All live, not previously mangled.
Twister helps a lot in this regard as it gives me tactile mixing (level, eq, fx) facilities on the thru track and flex loop recorder independently.

2 Likes

Do what is right for you.

I think whatever box or two boxes you gel with most would be the way to go. OT just makes it easier to work them out live.

1 Like